Things have gone from bad to worse for Brock Lesnar after the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) notified the UFC that he tested positive for a banned substance on July 9, the day of UFC 200.
Lesnar, who defeated Mark Hunt via unanimous decision at the event, was also recently informed that he had failed an out-of-competition drug test on June 28, which showed the same traces of the substance he tested positive for on the day of UFC 200.
It is currently unknown what substance Lesnar tested positive for, but a source told ESPN that the former UFC heavyweight champion had Clomipene in his system, the same anti-estrogen blocker that interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for prior to UFC 200.
It also remains unclear whether Lesnar will provide “B” samples in an attempt to clear his name.
Since none of the results were presented to the UFC prior to Lesnar’s bout with Hunt, he was allowed to compete at UFC 200.
“The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Brock Lesnar that his in-competition sample collection from July 9, 2016, at UFC 200, has tested positive for the same substance as his previously announced out-of-competition collection on June 28, 2016,” a UFC statement said.
“USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case. It is important to note that, under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, there is a full fair legal review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed. The Nevada State Athletic Commission also retains jurisdiction over this matter as the sample collection was performed at UFC 200 in Las Vegas.
“Consistent with all previous potential anti-doping violations, additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.”
After it was revealed that he failed a doping test on June 28, Hunt demanded that he receive half of Lesnar’s $2.5 million fight purse and even threatened to leave the UFC. Not long after, Hunt took to Twitter to say that he felt he should receive all of his opponent’s winnings. It is understood that Hunt made $700,000.
Should Lesnar fail to clear his name then his victory over Hunt will be changed to a no-contest.