Aldo vows to unveil new version of himself at UFC 200

Jose Aldo has revealed that he will go back to his roots when he takes on Frankie Edgar for the interim featherweight title at UFC 200 on July 9.

Aldo’s last fight came against Conor McGregor at UFC 194 on December 12, where his five-year reign as featherweight champion ended when the Irishman knocked him out in just 13 seconds.

With Aldo having to get past Edgar to earn a title shot, he has made it clear that he will be a lot more aggressive, just as he was during his WEC days.

“Before (the loss), I don’t know if I was inadvertently in a comfort zone, but I was dragging along a little,” Aldo told reporters. “Just sort of maintaining and coasting. Not anymore. Now I’m getting back to my WEC days, when we went all out and risked it to win the fights. I’m focused on that. Obviously I’m not going in there like a mad man, but it’s a new Aldo again.”

Aldo and Edgar last met at UFC 156 in February 2013 when the Brazilian came out on top via unanimous decision. While Aldo admits that Edgar has improved since their last fight, he still believes that he will be victorious at UFC 200.

“He’s more adjusted to the division, but I don’t see an evolution in his game,” he said. “Because I came off a loss, I tried to change things up a bit. I think a fire has been lit again. The will to win. I don’t see that much of a change. We’re both skilled. But you can be sure I’m going to win, and win well.”

In regards to McGregor, Aldo had some choice words for the champion, but vowed to regain the belt he last in December last year.

“I don’t care[if he comes back down to featherweight], I want him to go f*** himself,” he said. “Whether he comes back or not, I’ll still be champion.”

Comments