UFC president Dana White has said that he wants Nate Diaz to compete at UFC 200 on July 9.
On Monday, Diaz hinted that he had pulled out of the event when he took to Twitter to say that he was “going on vacation”.
But, White insists that the 31-year-old stands to make a huge amount of money should he fight at UFC 200.
“Obviously, I would like to keep Nate (on the card). Nate stands to make a lot of money on 200, I’d like to keep him on 200 but that’s up to him,” White told TMZ.
Diaz made the announcement on Twitter after White made it clear that Conor McGregor will not be fighting on July 9 even though the Irishman tweeted that he would be participating at UFC 200.
White revealed that Diaz didn’t seem too bothered by the fact that McGregor had been pulled from the card when they met in Las Vegas last week.
McGregor was removed from UFC 200 for failing to fulfill his promotional obligations as he wanted to continue training in Iceland.
“He’s not mad. He’s actually pretty cool about it,” White said. “This is a fight that Conor was really obsessed with and Conor really wanted this fight and Nate was like ‘whatever’. The Diaz brothers don’t get excited about too much, they really don’t. Nate always [says]: ‘I just want to be in big money fights’. Nick wants to be in big money fights.
“Even though this big money fight did fall apart, he’s not crazy. He’s not upset.”
The UFC president added that Diaz can choose any fighter he wants to replace McGregor, but the Stockton native doesn’t seem to eager to fight anyone else except McGregor.
Diaz ended McGregor’s unbeaten run in the UFC at UFC 196 last month when he made him submit in the second round. Following his first loss, the Irishman immediately requested a rematch, which Diaz was more than happy to accept.
“I have a long list of people he could fight, but it’s up to him,” White said. “He obviously won the first fight. He stepped up to take the second fight with Conor and the thing fell apart.
“We’ll give him a list of other guys and if he wants it, he can have it.”