In the aftermath of the comprehensive beating he dealt to Henry Cejudo at UFC 197 on Saturday, Demetrious Johnson has stated that he intends on remaining at 125 pounds and breaking Anderson Silva’s record for consecutive title defences.
While Silva’s defeat to Michael Bisping at UFC Fight Night 84 further emphasised that the Brazilian mixed martial arts legend is now well past his best, he does still hold the record for the most successful consecutive title defences at 10.
However, Johnson, who is the first and only Flyweight champion of the UFC, has his sights set on breaking that record. He currently sits on eight victories as the champion. Having wiped out the entire division, the only obstacle that appears to be standing in his way is whether the UFC have three more willing competitors to face him!
“My biggest goal right now is to break that title defence of Anderson Silva and I believe I can do it. So for me to go off and detour on a different route, it’s really going to have to make me want to do it,” Johnson said.
— UFC (@ufc) April 25, 2016
Cejudo, who was supposed to be Johnson’s toughest challenge yet, offered very little resistance on Saturday night as the latter destroyed him with a combination of vicious knee-kicks and brutal punches to earn a quick first-round TKO victory.
While Cejudo was quick to give praise to Johnson, he urged the champion to go out of his comfort zone and fight at Bantamweight for the title.
“I’m actually curious to see him fight at 135,” Cejudo said afterwards.
“I want to see how good he really is. He proved it tonight. I’m humbled. I’d like to see him fight at 135 for the championship. I want to see how good Demetrious Johnson is and how far he can take it.”
Dominick Cruz is the current Bantamweight champion and previously defeated Johnson in 2011 via unanimous decision in a 135-pound affair.