UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn will make his comeback against Dennis Siver at UFC 199 on June 4 in Los Angeles.
Penn, a former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion, has not fought since he was knocked out in the third round by Frankie Edgar in his featherweight debut at The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale in July 2014.
Following his loss to Edgar, Penn announced his retirement, but the 37-year-old began training again at JacksonWink MMA in Albuquerque, New Mexico in January.
During an interview with MMAjunkie last month, Penn’s coach Greg Jackson revealed that the Hawaii native was in excellent shape.
“He’s still just training, progressing very nicely,” Jackson had said. “He’s really starting to look really good.”
Prior to the fight against Siver being scheduled, Penn was in the midst of an internal UFC investigation after an ex-employee of his website accused Penn of sexually assaulting his girlfriend. However, no charges have been filed against Penn, who has maintained his innocence.
As the allegations have not been proven, the 37-year-old, who is just one of two men to have won titles in two different weight classes in the UFC, was given the green light to make his return.
“We have taken a look at the available facts, which aren’t too substantial, and there are two stories of what happened,” UFC’s chief operating officer Lawrence Epstein told reporters. “To date, there has no action at all taken by any law enforcement agency. We decided to allow B.J. to fight.
“However, we are going to continue to monitor to the situation. If new information, more information, becomes available to us, obviously, we reserve the right to re-evaluate.”