Fresh off his win over Frank Mir at UFC Fight Night 85, Mark Hunt has said that he is open to fighting again at short notice.
Hunt secured his second consecutive win after knocking out Mir in the first round of their bout in Brisbane last Sunday.
With a number of big heavyweight fights coming up – Junior dos Santos and Ben Rothwell at UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia in April and Stipe Miocic and heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum at UFC 198 in Brazil on May 14 – Hunt is willing to step in should any of those fighters pull out.
“If someone pulls out, I’d rather fight sooner,” Hunt told the MMA Hour. “So, if someone pulls out, I’m your man. Give me a call.”
However, if his services are not requited, Hunt wants a rematch against a fighter ranked in the top five of the heavyweight division. Should his wish be granted, the 42-year-old knows that he has to stay in shape or risk facing a repeat of what happened when he fought Miocic in May last year. During his bout with Miocic at UFC Fight Night 65, Hunt was overweight and was punched a record-breaking 361 times by Miocic en route to his TKO loss in the fifth round.
“I want my rematch with those guys,” he said. “Any of them is fine. Any of the top-five guys would be fine.
“That fight with Stipe taught me a big lesson – never to be so much overweight before the fight. It was a problem. So, I won’t be doing that, again.”