Frank Mir has said that Mark Hunt risks serious injury when they face each other in the main event of UFC Fight Night 85 in Brisbane, Australia on Sunday.
Mir has made it clear that he intends to defeat Hunt via submission and added that he will be targeting the 41-year-old’s legs.
Should Mir lock in one of his submission maneuvers, he feels it would be wise for Hunt to tap out immediately or risk spending a lengthy period of time on the sidelines.
“I’ve worked a lot of leg attacks. I love leg locks and heel hooks and kneebars,” Mir told MMA Junkie. “They’re complex and hard to avoid. I feel like if we get down to the ground, defending his legs is going to be very difficult, especially because his main concern is getting up – not worrying about his feet.
“I have the hip drive that when I grab something, it’s not going to be uncomfortable. He’s going to have to make the decision of it he wants to continue fighting or go ahead and lose that fight.
“When I say continue fighting, I mean if he taps, he can continue on (with his career). Kneebars and heel hooks at his age could take him out of competition for an extremely long time.”
Mir will be heading into the fight on the back of a defeat to Andrei Arlovski via unanimous decision at UFC 191 in September last year. Hunt on the other hand triumphed in his most recent bout as he knocked out Antonio Silva in the first round at UFC 193 in November 2015.