Eubank: Fight with Golovkin will happen in 2017

IBO super middleweight champion Chris Eubank Jr. says he is hoping to fight WBC, WBA, IBO, IBF middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin next in 2017.

On Saturday night in London, Eubank (24-1, 19 KOs) defeated Australian Renold Quinlan (11-2, 7 KOs) via a stoppage in the tenth round to win the IBO title. 

At one stage, a fight was on the cards for September 2016 at the O2 Arena in London between Eubank and Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs), but that fell through after Eubank and his, then promoter, Eddie Hearn failed to reach an agreement and the Brit was then replaced by IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook. 

Congratulations on the victory Team Eubank! The fight was uncompetitive and the "I Bend Over" (® Saunders) title hardly gives Chris the right to claim "Champion of The World" status yet but still, it was an entertaining scrap and it's great to see ITV back, selling boxing to the mainstream. A fight with Gennady Golovkin would sell like hot cakes and be a bloodbath while it lasted! Follow: @chriseubankjr @gggboxing @boks_luchshiy @saundersbillyjoe #boxing #quinlaneubank #teameubank #chriseubank #chriseubankjr #gennadygolovkin #itv #joshuaklitschko #hayebellew #canelo #ggg #anthonyjoshua #miketyson #boxinglife #floydmayweather #conormcgregor #mma #boxinghype #boxeo #boxingheads #ko #бокс #letsgochamp #britishboxing #fighter #boxingmemes

A photo posted by Boxing history and culture (@fighting_men) on

The unbeaten 34-year-old Golovkin, who will next be in action with a mandatory defence on March 18 at New York's Madison Square Garden against Daniel Jacobs (32-1, 29 KOs), has indicated that he wants to fight more often and those plans fall in with Eubank's.

In an interview with the Daily Star's Nick Parkinson, the 27-year-old Eubank confirmed that he was keen on fighting Golovkin in the second part of 2017.

"One hundred percent [it will happen], that's the fight I want because that's what the public want to see," Eubank told Parkinson.

"I've been calling for it for the last two years. I've every bit of confidence that fight with Golovkin will happen in 2017. 

"It's not that I didn't go through with it last year, I want the fight, but [promoter] Eddie Hearn gave the fight away to Kell Brook. Everything was being finalised and he [Hearn] saw an easier option. We're not yes men, we don't say yes to every clause. All the funny business that gets put into contracts, but we want a fair shake. 

"We were close to making the fight but out of nowhere Kell Brook said he would take the fight, even though he was not a middleweight and was never going to win it, and Eddie Hearn saw an opportunity. But if anything it's given me more time to prepare for Gennady Golovkin."

Comments