Badou Jack has formally surrendered his WBC super middleweight championship less than a week after a 12-round draw against IBF title holder James DeGale.
Jack had been scheduled to face a mandatory defence against undefeated Callum Smith after a gruelling encounter against DeGale, in New York last weekend.
DeGale called for a rematch, but after admitting his struggles to make the 168-pound super middleweight limit, Jack has vacated his title to move up to the light heavyweight division.
— Badou Jack (@BadouJack) January 18, 2017
“The WBC wishes Badou Jack continuous success and the best of luck in his boxing career hoping that one day he will compete for the light heavyweight championship of the world,” said a WBC statement.
Both Jack and promoter Floyd Mayweather JR are now eyeing a match-up against WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson, who is due to return to the ring in April.
— Al Bernstein (@AlBernstein) January 17, 2017
"Badou Jack has got too big for 168lbs. We have plans after this fight to move up to light-heavyweight,” said Mayweather last weekend.
British fighter Smith is expected to face former champion Anthony Dirrell for the vacant super-middleweight strap.