Pacquiao v Horn confirmed for April

It has been confirmed that Manny Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight title against Jeff Horn on 23 April. 

Horn has been in the running for a bout with the Filipino Slugger for many months and the clash was finally confirmed on Wednesday.

On the line will be the WBO welterweight title that Pacquiao won after his unanimous decision win over Jessie Vargas in November 2016.

Meanwhile, Horn is undefeated after 17 fights, 11 of which he won by knockout with his most recent being a TKO victory against Ali Funeka last month. 

All that remains is to finalise a venue for the fight. Top Rank boss Bob Arum revealed that it should be in Australia, making it the biggest fight in the nation's history.  

"I would expect three or four thousand Filipinos to fly from the Philippines for this fight Down Under," he said.

"It will be the biggest fight in Australian history but, until the money is secured, we have to keep our options open, including looking at the Middle East and the USA." 

Horn’s camp is eager for the fight to be in their hometown of Brisbane.

"We really hope the Queensland government and so forth will feel the same way," said Horn's trainer Glenn Rushton. 

"It just makes sense but also for the future. This can reinvigorate boxing in Australia."

Comments