Joshua, Klitschko will not fight this year

The much anticipated fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko will not take place this year, according to boxing promoter Eddie Hearn.

Joshua, who is the current The IBF champion, was in talks to fight the Ukrainian on 10 December but they have stalled because Klitschko has reportedly picked up an injury in training.

The blockbuster fight could still happen next year, but Hearn said Joshua will now look to fight another opponent in December at the Manchester Arena.

Klitschko

Hearn said: "We've been in deep negotiations for a few weeks now waiting on the decision from the WBA.

"I was made aware that Wladimir picked up a minor injury late last week but regardless of that, with just over six weeks to go until December 10 it's unrealistic to put together a fight of this magnitude and give it the full build up it deserves.

"There will be an official announcement on Joshua v Klitschko coming very soon but for now we are seeking a new foe for December 10 and building a huge card for Manchester."

“We decided with Bernd Boente [Klitschko’s promoter] let’s get this over the line now for March or April.

“Fans will hopefully get something official this week. The WBA are supposed to give their decision today [Monday] or tomorrow but I believe that is going to be positive for Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko. Once that is, I think we’ll move forward and sign terms this week.

Comments