Groves confident of title win

George Groves says he hasn’t seen anything in the footage he has watched of Badou Jack which tells him he can’t beat him in Las Vegas next month.

The Londoner will bid to take the WBC super-middleweight title on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather-Andre Berto fight at the MGM Grand Arena.

Groves was knocked out by Carl Froch at Wembley last year in their rematch after Froch had controversially won their first meeting.

But the 27-year-old is confident of victory in the USA against a man who lost to Derek Edwards last year after a draw with Marco Antonio Periban in 2013.

Those are the only blemishes on Swedish-born Jack’s record and he has won his other 19 professional bouts, 12 by way of knockout.

Groves has responded well to his losses to Froch, beating Christopher Rebrasse on points last September and stopping Denis Doughlin two months later.

He is the mandatory challenger for the WBC belt and is optimistic of taking his third chance to become a world champion as Jack defends the title he won against Anthony Dirrell in April.

Groves, speaking at the fight night launch press conference, said: “I’m pleased to be here and for the opportunity to fight for the WBC super-middleweight championship of the world.

“It will be third time lucky this time. We’ve prepared diligently, we’re ready for action and I’ve seen Badou up close and personal.

“We’ve studied his tapes and, as of yet, we cannot find anything that will cause me a problem on September 12.

“We’re looking forward to a good win and we’re planning to take the belt back to the UK. You’re in for a terrific show.”

Comments