Canelo relishing ‘great responsibility’

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has refuted talk that he could be feeling the pressure of carrying the hopes of a nation on ‘Cinco de Mayo week’ against Amir Khan.

WBC middleweight champion Canelo will make the first defence of his title at a 155lbs catchweight against the Brit in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Heading into the fight as the favourite and aiming to cement his status as the one of the best boxers in the world, the Mexican will be expected to put on a show for the Cinco de Mayo public holiday.

When asked whether he is feeling under scrutiny, he replied: “No pressure. It’s a great responsibility, but no pressure, I’ve learned to assimilate it with hard work, and fight by fight you gain that experience to continue on.

“It’s a responsibility. (The Mexican greats), they’ve written their story, their history, now I have to do mine. With that, it gives you that motivation to work harder and give it that extra mile.”

Earlier this week Khan revealed he has been studying Canelo’s only professional loss – to Floyd Mayweather three years ago – and said he will adopt a more tactical and less gung-ho approach against his opponent.

However, Canelo admits he is not expecting any surprises from the 29-year-old.

“I’m not worried or concerned about that,” he said. “Amir Khan’s never been in a boring fight so I don’t think it’ll start now, he’s always been in exciting fights.

“(And) let’s not forget about the courage he has: when he’s been down he’s got back up. He’s very courageous and you’ve got to respect that.”

Comments