WBC threaten to strip ‘Canelo’

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has been warned by the WBC he could be stripped of his world titles unless he fights Gennady Golovkin.

WBC middleweight champion Alvarez (46-1-1-KO32) will defend his title against Amir Khan on May 7 and will be given 15 days to accept a bout against interim champions Golovkin (35-0-KO32) if successful.

WBA and IBF champion Golovkin destroyed Dominic Wade within two rounds at the weekend, but has previously insisted he will only fight Alvarez at 160lbs, instead of the Mexican’s preferred catchweight of 155lbs.

Alvarez’s promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, has poured cold water on the idea of a bout between the duo in the past, insisting the match-up needs to “marinate” further.

But in an interview with boxingscene.com, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said: “Oscar can say whatever he wants. It’s his right to do so, but we are also within our rights to take the title away from his boxer if he does not meet [his obligation].”

Earlier this week Golovkin’s trainer, Abel Sanchez, accused Alvarez of being a “diva” in trying to force a fight at a catchweight.

And Sanchez has now also taken a swipe at De La Hoya.

He said: “I do not think Canelo is afraid of Golovkin. I think more than anything it’s to do with Canelo’s promoter, Oscar De La Hoya. I think he’s the one who is trying to avoid the fight.”

Comments