A clash with Kell Brook in the United Kingdom appeals to Jeff Horn, who is planning his next fight around the birth of his second child.
Jeff Horn would welcome the opportunity to fight Kell Brook as he plots his next career move around an impending new arrival.
The Australian wasted little time in winning his last outing, knocking out compatriot Anthony Mundine inside a round in a middleweight contest last November.
There remains a possibility Horn campaigns again at the 160-pound limit, while earlier this year his management team talked up a potential bout with Kell Brook, who saw his hopes of a domestic clash with Amir Khan dashed by his long-time rival opting to take on Terence Crawford instead.
A bout with Brook certainly interests the 31-year-old from Brisbane – and he is willing to travel to the United Kingdom to make it happen.
However, a date for his next outing will be dictated by the birth of his second child in June, meaning Horn may not step between the ropes again until the second half of 2019.
“I’ve made it known that I would fight Kell Brook – and I’d be pretty confident in that fight too,” Horn told Omnisport.
“It’s a fight that has come up on the radar. I don’t know if my team has spoken to his, but I’m definitely up for it.
“I would fight in the UK, it’s just a matter of working out the right dates at the moment. I am having a baby in June, so I don’t really want to fight in that month.
“If I can fight in August or September, probably more September, in the UK, or else it would have to be reasonably soon.
“I’m not desperate to fight, though. I could wait until August or September, so I’m not pushing for a fight. It would be great to get one, but if not I will just campaign later in the year.”
— Kell Brook (@SpecialKBrook) April 17, 2019
He lost his title just under a year later when stopped by unbeaten American Crawford, though weight issues – he had to strip right down on the scales to get inside the limit – did not help his cause.
A former Olympian, the fighter nicknamed ‘The Hornet’ would still consider getting back down to welterweight again if the right offer was presented to him, albeit probably not for his next outing.
“For this next fight, I’d say it’s going to be at super-welterweight or middleweight,” he said.
“I can still make it [welterweight]. Of course I feel more comfortable at the others, as I don’t have to cut as much weight. But I know there are plenty of other guys out there that cut more than I do, so I’m not the worst one.
“I know I feel a lot stronger when I cut less, so that’s the best move to further my career.”