The WBC has pushed back its February 5 deadline for the camps of Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury to agree a deal for their rematch.
Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury have been granted additional time to agree a deal for their rematch by the WBC.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman confirmed via Twitter the purse bid, scheduled for February 5, had been delayed following requests from both parties.
“We have extended [for] one week the free negotiations, per their request,” Sulaiman told ESPN.
Wilder retained his WBC heavyweight belt after a contentious draw against Fury in Los Angeles on December 1.
— Mauricio Sulaiman (@wbcmoro) February 4, 2019
Many felt Fury had done enough to earn the win despite twice having to get up off the canvas, the second time coming in an incredible 12th round at Staples Center.
Speaking in January, Fury’s promoter Frank Warren stated he expected the fight to take place on either April 27 or in May.
Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel told ESPN: “We’re in strong negotiations and hopefully we will get things done. I don’t think we are going to need a purse bid.”