“I’m 100 percent committed … to find a solution to keep them in downtown Phoenix where they belong,” Sarver said in a social media post.
Suns owner Robert Sarver is “100 percent committed” to finding a solution that will keep the team in downtown Phoenix.
In a social media post from the team’s official Twitter account, Sarver directly addressed fans about the future of the franchise after it was reported he threatened city council members that he would move the team if it did not approve a multi-year, multi-million dollar renovation project for Talking Stick Resort Arena.
“I’m a strong proponent, as evidenced by the term sheet I signed last week, that we should renovate the Talking Stick Resort Arena and once again restore it to a world-class facility,” Sarver said.
“I am 100 percent all-in in keeping this team right here where we stand and I want to make sure that message comes across crystal clear to every one of you.”
A message from Managing Partner, Robert Sarver: pic.twitter.com/f2YLC0woYG
— Phoenix Suns (@Suns) December 13, 2018
The city council was scheduled to vote Wednesday on the 15-year, $230-million renovation project proposed, but the vote is now postponed until January 23. There will be five scheduled public hearings to discuss the proposal before the vote in the new year.
Sarver, 57, purchased the Suns for $401 million in 2004.
The 4-24 Suns host the 15-11 Mavericks on Thursday at Talking Stick Resort Arena.