Woods takes indefinite break from golf

The former world number one had endured a torrid start to the year, shooting his worst round of his professional career at the Phoenix Open two weeks ago before withdrawing from last week's Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines after just 11 holes due to a back injury. 

It's a run that comes after Woods struggled with injury in 2014, including a spell on the sidelines after undergoing back surgery. In Woods' last eight tournaments he has withdrawn due to injury three times and missed three cuts.

Under this backdrop the 14-time major winner has decided to take a break from the tour has he tries to get back to his best, or at least somewhere near it.

"The last two weeks have been very disappointing to me, especially Torrey, because I never want to withdraw," Woods said in a statement on his official website. 

"Unfortunately, lately injuries have made that happen too often.

"This latest injury is not related to my previous surgery. I am having daily physical therapy and I am feeling better every day."

"My play, and scores, are not acceptable for tournament golf.

"Right now, I need a lot of work on my game, and to still spend time with the people that are important to me. My play, and scores, are not acceptable for tournament golf. 

"Like I've said, I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level, and when I think I'm ready, I'll be back. 

"Next week I will practice at Medalist and at home getting ready for the rest of the year. I am committed to getting back to the pinnacle of my game. 

"I'd like to play The Honda Classic – it's a tournament in my hometown and it's important to me – but I won't be there unless my game is tournament-ready. That's not fair to anyone. I do, however, expect to be playing again very soon."

Woods' current world ranking of 66 is his lowest since turning professional, and he faces a race against time to return to form before the year's first major, the Masters at Augusta, on April 9-12.

Comments