Federer: Death threat a distraction

Roger Federer admitted the death threat he received prior to the Shanghai Rolex Masters is playing a bit on his mind.

Tennis News: Roger Federer

By ESPNSTAR.com Staff

An anonymous blogger on Chinese website Baidu had claimed: "On October 6, I plan to assassinate Federer for the purpose of tennis extermination," following which security around the player had been increased.

Speaking at a press conference after his arrival in Shanghai, Federer said: Obviously maybe it's a little bit of a distraction, there's no doubt about it. But you have to be aware of what's happening around you. But that is the case anyway anywhere I go today with my fame and all that stuff."

It was also revealed that the Swiss had been made aware of the situation well before it broke in the media.

"So then obviously it came out in the press. That's when things changed." he said. "It became much more public, which I'm a bit disappointed about, that it did come out in the press. "It was something just very small on a website, nothing clear and concrete, people just debating. That it makes that big news is a bit surprising to me."

Federer has been given a first-round bye in the tournament and will play the winner of Yen-Hsun Lu and Ze Zhang in the second round.



comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update