Del Potro dreams on

Juan Martin Del Potro's impressive run of form continued at the US Open on Saturday, as he booked his place in the second week.

The Argentine  – who received a wildcard to play at Flushing Meadows – is through to the fourth round of the grand slam.

Due to a tumultuous few years of injury, this is Del Potro’s first fourth round appearance in New York since 2012…and it means a lot to him.

"I'm so glad to be in the second week after three years," the 27-year-old told atpworldtour.com.  

"It means a lot of good things to me. Of course, I'm looking forward to keep winning. But my next opponent will be really difficult."

Del Potro has now ousted 19th seed Sam Johnson, 11th seed David Ferrer and is yet to drop a set in New York. 

"I got stronger mentally after the first set," he said of his win over Ferrer. 

"Against David you never know when the match is going to finish. He never gives up. It's a pleasure to play against him because he puts me under pressure all the time. I needed to play my best tennis today."

The 2009 US Open Champion faces a tougher task in the Round of 16, as he steps onto court with rising star Dominic Thiem.

"It will depend on my body, on my game," added Del Potro.

"If I play like I did today, I will have a chance to play a great match against him. But he's playing really well. He's very dangerous. His backhand is so good. His movements are really fast. It will be an interesting match for me."

Del Potro won the only match between the two in Madrid earlier this year.

Comments