The Northampton hooker was banned for eight weeks by an independent Six Nations disciplinary committee on Tuesday having been cited for biting the finger of flanker Stephen Ferris during England's 30-9 win over Ireland on March 17.
The hearing upheld the citing and issued a ban that will force him to miss the remainder of Northampton's Aviva Premiership regular-season campaign. He will only play for the Saints again this season if they reach the Premiership final which takes place on May 26.
However, the suspension will have concluded by the time England head to South Africa in June, a tour which includes three Test matches.
The 26-year-old can resume playing from May 14 and the first Test against the Springboks is on June 9.
After the hearing, Hartley expressed his disappointment.
"I am disappointed by the result and I will wait for the written judgment as to how the panel came to their conclusion,'' he said.
"I now have to put it behind me and focus on supporting Saints in training and off the field.''
That written judgment should be published later this week.
Hartley, his legal representative, Northampton director of rugby Jim Mallinder, England forwards coach Graham Rowntree and Ferris all gave evidence to the hearing via a video link. The incident was not captured on TV.
Mallinder echoed his player's thoughts, saying: "We are disappointed that Dylan has been suspended, especially at a crucial part of the season."
Rowntree was happy to have Hartley available for England duty though.
He said: "It is unfortunate for Dylan and Northampton, especially as he was in good form during the Six Nations, and he has developed as a player and a leader. However, we are looking forward to him being available for the tour to South Africa."
It was decided that the offence - which concerns "acts contrary to good sportsmanship" - merited a low entry point in the IRB's table of sanctions.
The maximum sanction for the offence is a four-year ban.
It had been speculated that Hartley could be facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines as he previously served a 26-week ban for gouging in 2007.