The Test group were due to fly Down Under on Wednesday afternoon and their departure was pre-empted by confirmation of the latest batch of England and Wales Cricket Board 12-month central contracts, news which had been delayed by around a month as talks continued.
Joe Root, who has become a regular in all three formats in the last year, was the only new name on the elite list, with Eoin Morgan dropping out due to his diminished place in the Test pecking order.
Root - as well as 10 of his most senior colleagues - will benefit from an improved financial package that will see a larger proportion of broadcast revenues reach the playing staff, but the Professional Cricketers' Association have also been able to lock down a fixed framework for a six-year period until October 2019.
As well as setting out payment details, talks also focused on the possibility of English cricketers having a greater chance to pursue lucrative IPL deals.
Only a handful of English players, notably Kevin Pietersen, have so far earned contracts in the competition due to limited availability caused by their domestic calendar.
There will be a dedicated 'IPL window' in the ECB contracts, but PCA chief executive Angus Porter has revealed that an agreement now exists aimed at limiting that clash.
Porter told Press Association Sport: "There have been a lot of discussions on the IPL but we are talking about a six-year period for contracts and the IPL is an event where we don't know the timings or the issues more than 12 months out.
"We will be handling that year by year but there is an understanding to try and minimise unnecessary overlap between our season and the IPL season.
"We have agreed that (with the ECB) in principle.
"We'll take it year by year. I don't think it (an IPL window) was possible this time...not unless the ECB had been able to strike an agreement with the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India)."
The ECB have already showed some willingness in that regard by scheduling next summer's Sri Lanka Tests for June instead of May, theoretically increasing the number of weeks members from each side could play in the IPL - though the ECB would still need to provide no objection certificates to their players.
Hugh Morris, the outgoing managing director of England Cricket, was pleased to draw a line under his final major challenge in the role.
"We are delighted to have concluded a six-year deal and to have all contractual issues resolved in advance of what we all hope to be another successful Ashes tour," he said.
"We thank the PCA, Team England player partnership and the ECB board for reaching this agreement which now allows the players to focus solely on cricket, not just during this tour, but for a considerable period beyond."
Aside from Root, the other 10 players to be contracted for the next year were all retained from the 2012-13 list.
They were Alastair Cook, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Steven Finn, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Graeme Swann and Jonathan Trott.