Brawn denies new role for Schumacher

Ross Brawn insists Mercedes have not offered Michael Schumacher a role for when he retires at the end of the season.

Motorsport News: Michael Schumacher of Mercedes

Schumacher yesterday [Thursday] announced he will quit the sport for a second time, after an unsuccessful three-year stint with the German marque that has yielded just one podium finish.

While making his emotional statement to the media, Schumacher mentioned he had a number of options available to him when he leaves Formula One.

He has been linked with a drive in the DTM championship, while Pirelli boss Paul Hembery today told reporters they would be interested in having Schumacher as a test driver if he wanted to put his name forward.

Given Schumacher's criticism of Pirelli's tyres earlier this season, that may be an unlikely avenue for the seven-time world champion to pursue.

Mercedes were thought to be interested in retaining Schumacher's services somewhere within the organisation.

But, when asked by Press Association Sport, Brawn said: "We have not discussed that, it's not something we have explored as yet.

"Michael's got huge experience and everyone's got massive respect for him.

"It's not possible to say, I think Michael is going to spend a few months just reflecting on - let's say - this new opportunity he has and I am sure he will think very seriously about whatever he'll do.

"But whatever he does, he will do extremely professionally and effectively, but at the moment I have no idea what that would be."

Schumacher had spoken of his "relief" at finally deciding to retire, and his desire to finish the season strongly.

But he paid the price for an error in today's [Thursday] practice for Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix.

The 43-year-old made the mistake of dropping his right rear wheel onto the grass on the entry into the Spoon Curve, snapping the car sideways and into the barrier.

The error left Schumacher down in 10th place as the Red Bull of Mark Webber set the pace, and the German admits the crash has put him on the back foot ahead of Saturday's qualifying.

He said: "I had to go to the medical centre which was a precaution from the FIA but I am 100% okay.

"I think I was already concentrating too much on the corner ahead of me and therefore had a wheel on the dirt and went off.

"Overall, we had not been able to collect as much data as we would have wanted, as we had a lot of breaks working on adjustments to the cars, and we will also have to improve the balance.

"We will now certainly have to work a lot off the track, in front of the computers, and try to find the best approach for tomorrow [Saturday]."



comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update