Alonso wary of Vettel, Hamilton

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso believes that McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel are the main challengers to his bid to win the drivers' championship.

Motorsport News: Fernando Alonso Sebastian Vettel

By ESPNSTAR.com staff

The Spaniard has been the most consistent driver of the season allowing him to secure pole position despite only winning three out of the 11 races so far. He currently leads the standings with 164 points with Mark Webber second on 124 while Vettel, Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen are all close behind the frontrunners. 

Alonso knows that it won't be easy in the remaining nine races despite posting a comfortable 40-point lead. But he believes that the duo of Vettel and Hamilton will be the closest challengers and he remains wary of their driving capabilities despite a sub-par season for both. 

"Hamilton and Vettel are the drivers we have focused on since the beginning," he told Totalrace magazine.

"They are the biggest challengers, but all of the teams are close.

"Hopefully, they will fight among themselves and not one of them will dominate." 

Nevertheless, he would not completely rule out other racers such as Kimi Raikkonen who, at 116 points, could yet have a shot at making up the distance in the coming races. The Finn is said to be a fan of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit at the Belgian Grand Prix, having won there four times in the past with his most recent victory occuring in the 2009 season before he took a break from F1 racing. 

"I think the distance between the top five, top six is not impossible to recover. You just need one good race or two good races and you are up there.

"Sometimes we know we can be on the podium, other times maybe it's only seventh, but we cannot afford to make any mistakes or do anything that we will regret." 

Formula 1 returns on September 2 with the Belgian Grand Prix and the month also includes races in Italy and Singapore. 



comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update