Sam Bird completed a clean sweep at Formula E’s New York ePrix after sealing a second win of the weekend.
The DS Virgin Racing driver comfortably beat the Mahindras duo of Nick Heidfeld and Felix Rosenqvist to claim the second race in Brooklyn after triumphing in Saturday’s opening contest.
— FIA Formula E (@FIAformulaE) July 16, 2017
Bird lost the lead to Rosenqvist on the first corner, but stayed on his tail and regained the advantage on lap 10. From there, the British driver never looked back as he claimed the win by more than 11 seconds to move into fourth in the drivers’ championship.
Pierre Gasly attempted to pip Heidfeld and Rosenqvist to a place on the podium, but a late surge wasn’t sufficient and contact with the pair as they went over the line saw him hit the wall on the exit.
— DS Virgin Racing (@DSVirginRacing) July 16, 2017
Audi’s Lucas di Grassi was again unable to secure a podium finish, but a fifth placed finish sees him narrow the gap with championship leader Sebastien Buemi to 10 points, heading into the final two races of the campaign in Montreal.
Nicolas Prost was sixth, while Tom Dillman claimed a laudable seventh place finish for Venturi.
Final placings from New York Race Two:
- Sam Bird Virgin Racing
- Felix Rosenqvist Mahindra Racing Gap 11.381
- Nick Heidfeld Mahindra Racing 12.319
- Pierre Gasly DAMS 12.355
- Lucas di Grassi Team Abt 23.451
- Nicolas Prost DAMS 30.470
- Tom Dillmann Venturi 41.862
- Jean-Eric Vergne Techeetah 52.292
- Robin Frijns Andretti Autosport 1.00.475
- Jérôme d'Ambrosio Dragon Racing 1.12.659
- Adam Carroll Jaguar Racing 1.41.134
- Stéphane Sarrazin Techeetah 1 lap
- Loic Duval Dragon Racing 1 lap
- Oliver Turvey NEXTEV TCR Formula E Team 1 lap
- Antonio Felix da Costa Andretti Autosport 1 lap
- Nelson Piquet Jr. NEXTEV TCR Formula E Team 3 laps
- Maro Engel Venturi 27 laps
- Alex Lynn Virgin Racing 30 laps
- Daniel Abt Team Abt 31 laps
- Mitch Evans Jaguar Racing 44 laps