ATM boot Terengganu out of Malaysia Cup

ATM recorded a 2-0 win over Terengganu on Tuesday evening to book their place in the quarter-finals of the Malaysia Cup.

Malaysia Cup: ATM vs Terengganu

By staff

In doing so, the Armed Forces also sent their opponents tumbling out of the competition, capping off a forgettable year for the Turtles after disappointing displays in the Malaysia Super League, FA Cup and AFC Cup.

Following a goalless first half at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium, the visitors took the lead in the 75th minute through veteran striker Marlon Alex James, before Argentinean Bruno Martelotto wrapped up the win with a second two minutes from time.

The result leaves ATM top of Group B on ten points, two ahead of Kelantan who were held to a 0-0 draw by Kedah and need a point in their final game against Terengganu next weekend to guarantee their progress.

Over in Group D, high-flying Pahang were handed their first defeat after falling to a 4-1 home loss to Selangor.

First-half strikes from Amri Yahyah and Bosko Balaban gave the Red Giants a comfortable lead at the break, before the former added another five minutes into the second half to effectively end the contest.

On-loan starlet Rozaimi Abdul Rahman made it 4-0 a minute before the hour mark, although Tok Gajah pulled one back in the 74th minute when Hafiz Kamal scored from the spot.

Pahang remain top of the group but Selangor are now level with them on ten points, three ahead of Sarawak, who cruised to a 6-1 triumph over bottom side T-Team.

Leading 1-0 at the break thanks to Joel Epalle's 43rd-minute opener, the Crocs piled on the goals in the second half thanks to strikes from Azizan Saperi, Epalle, Bobby Gonzalez, Rasyid Aya and Shahrudin Yakup.

T-Team managed a late consolation in the 90th minute when Zairo Anuar Zalani netted from the spot.

PKNS FC handed LIONSXII their first defeat of the campaign after beating the Singaporean outfit 1-0 thanks to Helmi Loussaief's injury-time strike, which came just moments after Dawood Nicoise had a penalty saved by Izwan Mahbud.

Nonetheless, the LIONSXII remain top of Group A along with Johor FC, who fell to a 3-1 defeat at the hands of neighbours Johor.

Finally in Group C, Alif Shamsudin grabbed a 62nd-minute equaliser for Negri Sembilan to force a 1-1 draw in their game against Sime Darby, who had taken the lead through Patrick Ronaldinho Wleh after ten minutes.

In the group's other game, Felda United played out a 2-2 draw with Perak, meaning all four teams can still mathematically qualify for the knockout round.

Tuesday's Malaysia Cup Results

Group A

Johor FC 1-3 Johor


Group B

Terengganu 0-2 ATM

Kedah 0-0 Kelantan

Group C

Felda United 2-2 Perak

Sime Darby 1-1 Negri Sembilan

Group D

Pahang 1-4 Selangor

Sarawak 6-1 T-Team

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update