Italy striker Balotelli was shown a second yellow card in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Napoli for his protests after the final whistle.
The 23-year-old will miss Milan's next three matches, including a high-profile showdown against Juventus, after making "insulting and intimidating comments" towards the referee.
"Mario must learn to control himself," Rossoneri full-back Abate told the Gazzetta dello Sport. "He is an important player for us and to lose him for several games is a problem.
"He just needs to learn self-control."
Balotelli's absence further complicates matters for head coach Massimiliano Allegri.
The Rossoneri, who are still without seven players through injury, have won just one of their opening four league games.
Milan's main problem has been at the defensive end, where they have failed to keep a clean sheet in the league so far.
"Our backline has to improve," Allegri said. "Against Napoli we conceded two goals that could easily have been avoided.
"To have conceded seven goals in four games is not good. We need to be more focused at the back."
Robinho is set to replace Balotelli and partner Alessandro Matri up front, but winless Bologna will not take Milan lightly despite the absence of their key forward.
"Even without Balotelli, they remain a great side," Bologna striker Rolando Bianchi said. "We would make a huge mistake to underestimate them."
Bianchi is desperate to score his first goal of the campaign at the Stadio Renato Dall'Ara on Wednesday night.
"I apologise to the fans and to my team-mates for not making the most of my chances," he said.
"I'm going through a difficult time but I'm sure that by working hard I will overcome this."
The hosts will be without defender Cesare Natali, who is suspended for three games after being sent off over the half-time break of Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Torino.