The Portuguese said goodbye to the Bernabeu on Saturday night with a 4-2 victory over Osasuna and speculation has been mounting for some time that he will return to Stamford Bridge.
Mourinho, 50, enjoyed four stellar years with the Blues between 2004 and 2007 - winning two Premier League titles, an FA Cup, two League Cups and an FA Community Shield.
He went on to clinch the Champions League with Internazionale in 2010 and won the hearts of Real fans by wresting the La Liga title from arch-rivals Barcelona in 2012 before falling from grace this term and coming to a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.
Ricardo Carvalho, who was a mainstay of Chelsea's defence under Mourinho and followed his compatriot to Real, believes that 'The Special One' returning to fill the Blues' vacancy left by the departing Rafa Benitez is a shrewd move for all concerned.
Carvalho said: "They are doing well but it is important to improve. It's a special club for me. I was so happy there and I wish they will win titles. They won the UEFA Cup (this season) but the Premier League is important.
"In two or three years I'm sure, but also in his first year he can win again. In 2004 when we went there, he won in his first year and he can do the same."
Perez told Sky Sports that Mourinho will definitely rejoin Chelsea over the summer as he was re-elected as Madrid president in the elections.
Madrid's electoral board met on Sunday and, with no candidates other than Perez putting themselves forward for election ahead of the deadline, confirmed the 66-year-old would remain in the post.
Perez's investiture ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 1300 local time in the directors' box at the Bernabeu stadium.
Perez, who was widely expected to continue in the post for another four-year term, returned to the Madrid presidency for a second spell in 2009.
He had previously held the post for six highly eventful years from 2000 to 2006, during which time the club won two La Liga titles and the Champions League, and was characterised by the famous 'Galacticos' policy which saw Madrid bring in the likes of Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, David Beckham and Ronaldo for massive fees.
During that time Perez also employed six different managers before finally quitting himself in February 2006 after seeing Madrid go three years without winning a major trophy.
Perez returned to the role four years ago after his three possible rivals all withdrew from the election race, with the 57.4million euro bank guarantee seeming to be the big stumbling block.
Following Perez's re-election, Madrid splashed out around £225million on the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso in the summer of 2009, with Manuel Pellegrini appointed coach.
Pellegrini was dismissed the following summer after failing to land any silverware, with Mourinho replacing him.
Mourinho led Madrid to the La Liga, Copa del Rey and Spanish Supercopa in his three years in charge before leaving the club following Saturday night's season-ending win over Osasuna.
Paris St Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti is favourite to take over from Mourinho.