Coyle was finally unveiled as Roberto Martinez's successor this afternoon.
Merely by walking past the FA Cup on his way to the press conference room where he met the media, the Scot was reminded of Martinez's greatest achievement in his four years at the helm.
However, the absence of sponsors' signage outside underlined the brutal reality of Wigan's lost status.
And Coyle confirmed work on the club's first Championship campaign in nine years has already begun, having enjoyed success at Bolton in seasons gone by thanks to the short-term arrivals of Jack Wilshere and Daniel Sturridge, both of whom have gone on to become full England internationals.
"I am very fortunate that elite managers trust me with their players," said Coyle.
"They know they are sending them to someone who coaches their players very well, who would improve them and give them the platform to play.
"I have already touched base with a number and it is a market I will look to utilise."
Wigan have enjoyed their own successes in that sphere, mainly through the season Tom Cleverley spent at the DW Stadium.
Manchester United team-mate Angelo Henriquez spent the latter half of last term at Wigan, and was on the bench for that famous FA Cup final triumph over Manchester City in May.
Although the young Chile forward did not feature as much as he hoped, there has been talk of a return to Wigan, who have already lost Franco di Santo from their roster of attacking players and know Arouna Kone's £6.5million release clause is virtually certain to be activated.
Another United youngster, Nick Powell, could also be on the radar as Coyle prepares for a season which, including Europa League commitments and the Community Shield encounter with Manchester United at Wembley on August 11, will have a minimum of 55 matches.
Little wonder both Coyle and chairman Dave Whelan have spoken of the need to strengthen.
And whilst Whelan insists there will be no change to the prudent philosophy that has characterised his decade at the helm, he has promised his new manager all transfer funds will be handed over for new signings.
"We don't go into football to lose money," he said.
"We were one of the few clubs to make a profit last year and we stay within the limits of what we can and cannot do.
"But I have promised Owen every transfer fee will go straight back out for spending out on the football field.
"That is what we believe in. The intention is to get back in the Premier League. It may take two years. It may take three. It might take longer."
Yet with the parachute payments handing Wigan a sizeable advantage this term, the next 12 months provide the best chance of an immediate return.
It was something not lost on Bolton, who cut Coyle adrift after a poor start to their attempt to bounce back at the first attempt, although the Scot feels Wigan are better placed.
"When Bolton lost their place there was a negativity that spilled into the following season," he said.
"You have to accept you are not in the Premier League anymore.
"It is a tough gig."
Wigan have already lost Maynor Figueroa to Hull, whilst the contracts of Antolin Alcaraz and Di Santo have expired.
Loanees Joel Robles and Paul Scharner will not be returning either and in addition to Kone, there are serious question marks over the futures of Shaun Maloney, Callum McManaman and James McCarthy.
"There is no need to speak to any of those players," said Coyle.
"Most of them are on holiday and I feel it is only when you see the colour of their eyes that you know exactly what they are thinking.
"They are the kinds of chats I like to have."