Ferdinand is in line to make his 82nd appearance for the Three Lions during the forthcoming World Cup double-header with San Marino and Montenegro after being called up by Roy Hodgson for the first time.
It ends an exile stretching back to June 2011 and comes after a tortuous 12 months, in which the Ferdinand family were at the centre of that long-running racism row with John Terry, which Rio felt was the real reason behind his omission from Hodgson's Euro 2012 squad.
Yet it appears Ferguson is not in agreement.
The Manchester United boss has repeatedly spoken of Ferdinand's battle to overcome a long-standing back injury, and the treatment required to get the 34-year-old on the field regularly.
Given Ferdinand's regular presence in the United squad over the past three seasons, it does appear the policy has worked.
And Ferguson appears reluctant to risk a deterioration.
"I was as surprised as anyone when I heard," he said.
"I need to speak to our doctor because we prepare Rio in certain ways and he has certain treatments he has to go through.
"The procedures have been the same all season which has given him fantastic performance levels when he's playing for us."
Whilst it is not unknown for Ferdinand to play successive games - only last week he faced Chelsea in the FA Cup immediately after that Champions League defeat by Real Madrid - there has been an element of managing the number of matches he is involved in.
And, as ever, Ferguson's overwhelming priority is United.
"He has to make sure he's going to be okay in terms of the number of games he plays," said the Red Devils chief.
"We've been doing that for two years and it has worked.
"We have to consider that and Rio is considering that.
"We've detailed his training programmes and given him the treatments he needs for the various complaints he has in terms of his back and groin. So far it's worked very well.
"We have to look at all these things before Rio decides and we see what the outcome is."
Although it does appear there has been some kind of breakdown in communication, Press Association Sport understands United were contacted by the FA ahead of yesterday's squad announcement, even if Ferguson and Hodgson did not actually speak.
And given Ferdinand recently stated he would love to play for his country again, it would seem strange for the 34-year-old to now pull out on fitness grounds when the opportunity he craved for so long has been presented to him.
In addition, there is the likelihood Ferdinand will only be required for the crucial trip to Montenegro on March 26 given Group H whipping boys San Marino are the test next Friday.
Nevertheless, Ferguson is clearly concerned, which is probably understandable given his side face two games in 48 hours immediately after the international break, with their FA Cup replay with Chelsea having to be squeezed into a congested fixture calendar due to the Blues' Europa League commitments.
United's immediate aim is to ensure that match remains another step towards a likely domestic double by confirming obvious superiority against relegation-threatened Reading at Old Trafford tomorrow.
The Red Devils will approach their task without long-term casualty Paul Scholes, plus Phil Jones, who has been out for four weeks with an ankle injury, and Nani, whose hamstring injury is not as bad as Ferguson initially feared.
"Nani came off against Chelsea last week and we thought it could have been another bad hamstring injury," said Ferguson.
"Thankfully it is not serious but it will keep him out for a couple of weeks."