The Barclays Premier League champions made no attempt to dip into the transfer market before it closed this week, despite sanctioning Balotelli's high-profile move to AC Milan.
The Italy international's departure has left City with just three senior frontline strikers in Carlos Tevez, Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko but Mancini is not immediately concerned.
Balotelli's recent contributions, having only scored three goals this season, had been negligible and Mancini realised earlier this week it was in everyone's interests for him to leave.
Mancini said: "When we had this chance, because Milan wanted him and he probably wanted to go back.
"For us, it was a good situation because in this moment we can start to work to find another solution for the summer.
"I think it was good for him and us."
Balotelli's future had been the subject of speculation throughout the January transfer window but Mancini consistently denied a sale was likely.
Even after a much-publicised training-ground bust-up earlier this month he vowed to give the unpredictable striker "another 100 chances".
Yet rumours linking the 22-year-old with boyhood club Milan refused to subside and after two-and-a-half controversy-filled years, City cashed in in a deal initially worth a reported £19million.
Balotelli showed flashes of his talent at the Etihad Stadium but remains some way off fulfilling his potential.
Despite his departure, Mancini's renowned confidence in the player has not wavered.
Balotelli's move sparked huge interest in Milan, with huge crowds gathering and reports of tear gas being used by police to quell unruliness.
When asked if he was pleased this circus was no longer his concern, Mancini said: "I like Mario. I was really sad on Tuesday when he left the team and said goodbye to all the other guys.
"It's great that he saw me and the other guys because in the end he's a good guy and a good player.
"Sometimes he did bad things but it's good, it's good."