City edge Spurs, Reds hold Chelsea

Manchester City came from behind to beat Tottenham while Liverpool held Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Newcastle lost to West Ham at St James' Park.

Aguero can't find room to maneuver...

Edin Dzeko lived up to his super-sub billing once again by firing City to a 2-1 victory against Spurs.

Dzeko struck three minutes from time to complete a defiant second-half comeback from the unbeaten Blues, who closed the gap on Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester United to two points.

It was the Bosnian's seventh goal of the season, six of which have come from the bench, after Sergio Aguero had cancelled out Steven Caulker's first-half header.

It also extended City's unbeaten home Premier League record to an incredible 35, and their present unbeaten league run to 16, adding weight to manager Roberto Mancini's pre-match dismissal of any sense of crisis.

Luis Suarez dealt a double blow to Chelsea's title hopes after inadvertently ending John Terry's comeback and snatching a deserved 1-1 draw for Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.

Terry looked set to enjoy a dream return to action after his domestic four-match racism ban when he powered the European champions ahead.

But the Blues captain then collided accidentally with the man at the centre of football's other high-profile race scandal, forcing him off on a stretcher, with Suarez going on to equalise for Liverpool and almost steal victory.

The draw prevented Chelsea from climbing back into second place as they recorded their third league game without a win to lie three points behind table-toppers Manchester United.

Elsewhere, former skipper Kevin Nolan returned to haunt his old club as West Ham condemned Newcastle to a first defeat in six games with a 1-0 victory.

Nolan's 39th-minute strike, so typical of the goals he once scored for the Magpies, was enough to edge a tight encounter in which the visitors enjoyed the better of the first half but had to survive a stern examination after the break.

Newcastle were once again far from their best, but did create more than enough chances to get something out of the game and would have done but for some poor finishing and the resilience of goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, who produced fine saves from Demba Ba and Hatem Ben Arfa.

Tim Krul prevented Andy Carroll from opening his West Ham account with a 72nd-minute save with the visitors threatening on the counter-attack.

But ultimately it was Sam Allardyce, who was sacked by Newcastle after just eight months at the helm, who was smiling as his successor Alan Pardew was left to bemoan another disjointed display and defeat by his former employers.


Manchester United staged a dramatic comeback at Aston Villa to win 3-2 and move four points clear at the Barclays Premier League summit.

United looked in serious danger of slumping to their third defeat of the season when Andreas Weimann's second goal of the evening handed Villa a 2-0 lead after 50 minutes.

But Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to introduce Javier Hernandez for former Villa winger Ashley Young at half-time proved to be inspired.

The Mexico international pulled one back with a neat finish and then another shot from Hernandez was deflected in by Villa defender Ron Vlaar for an own goal.

And it was Hernandez who grabbed the 87th-minute winner when he headed in Robin van Persie's inswinging free-kick.

United extended their lead at the summit over Chelsea, who host Liverpool on Sunday, with defending champions Manchester City a further point adrift. Roberto Mancini's men take on Tottenham at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday lunchtime.

Arsenal squandered a 2-0 lead for the second time in five days and missed an injury-time penalty as Fulham claimed a 3-3 draw at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Gunners, who were held by Schalke in Gelsenkirchen in the Champions League on Tuesday night after opening up a two-goal cushion, went ahead today through Olivier Giroud's header from a Theo Walcott corner and doubled their advantage when Lukas Podolski swept home Mikel Arteta's centre.

But Fulham pulled one back after 29 minutes as an unmarked Dimitar Berbatov nodded in Bryan Ruiz's corner from inside the six-yard box and they equalised when Berbatov's cross from the right was headed in by substitute Alex Kacaniklic.

The Cottagers took the lead for the first time when Arteta dragged down Ruiz in the area and Berbatov stroked home a 67th-minute spot-kick.

But the visitors' joy was shortlived as Giroud, having placed his first effort against the post, reacted well to head in Walcott's subsequent cross.

Arsenal could have won it in the fourth minute of stoppage time when referee Phil Dowd harshly adjudged Sascha Riether had handled Andrey Arshavin's cross, but Mark Schwarzer superbly kept out Arteta's low spot-kick.

Everton stay in fourth spot after coming from behind to beat struggling Sunderland 2-1 at Goodison Park.

The visitors threatened early through Stephane Sessegnon and Steven Fletcher and made the breakthrough when summer signing Adam Johnson netted shortly before the break.

But, following plenty of Everton pressure, Marouane Fellaini drove past Simon Mignolet after 76 minutes and, two minutes later, the Belgian cleverly flicked on for Nikica Jelavic to fire home.

West Brom won 2-1 at Wigan thanks to a James Morrison header and a Gary Caldwell own goal.

Scotland midfielder Morrison has been an impressive performer in the Baggies' strong start and he was on hand to head home Chris Brunt's wicked left-footed cross after 31 minutes.

And when Caldwell put through his own goal it looked good for Steve Clarke's men.

Arouna Kone pulled one back on the stroke of half-time but Wigan could not find a leveller.

Another individual defensive mistake prevented Southampton from beating Swansea.

The hosts went ahead through Morgan Schneiderlin's 64th-minute header but were pegged back nine minutes later as Maya Yoshida was dispossessed by Nathan Dyer and the winger ran through to score.

Stoke moved up to 12th after a hard-fought 1-0 win at home to winless QPR.

Charlie Adam got the only goal - his first for the club - at the start of the second half, firing in left-footed after the visitors had failed to clear Robert Huth's long free-kick into the box.

The defeat, QPR's seventh of the season, means Mark Hughes' men stay bottom.

Reading, who had scored eight times in their previous two home games without winning either, could not find a way past Norwich as their search for a first Barclays Premier League victory of the season went on. The teams played out a goalless stalemate.

Sunday's Barclays Premier League Results

Manchester City 2-1 Tottenham

Report I Reaction I Ratings

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool

Report I Reaction I Ratings

Newcastle 0-1 West Ham

Report I Reaction

Saturday's Barclays Premier League Results

Arsenal 3-3 Fulham

Report | Reaction | Player Ratings

Everton 2-1 Sunderland

Report | Reaction

Reading 0-0 Norwich

Report | Reaction

Southampton 1-1 Swansea

Report | Reaction

Stoke 1-0 QPR

Report | Reaction

Wigan 1-2 West Brom

Report | Reaction

Aston Villa 2-3 Man United

Report | Reaction | Player Ratings

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update