Capello "very happy" with Terry verdict

Fabio Capello's son Pierfilippo revealed that his father had been happy to hear of John Terry's verdict of innocence in his court trial.

Football News: Fabio Capello John Terry

By ESPNSTAR.com staff

The former England boss had sensationally resigned in February following the FA's decision to strip Terry of the England captaincy after the player was to be prosecuted for alleged racial abuse of QPR's Anton Ferdinand. The Italian maintained back then that it was unfair for the organisation to punish the Chelsea man without a proper trial and he was furious at having his authority undermined in such a public manner.

On Friday, the court announced a 'not guilty' verdict clearing Terry of all racism charges and the news was well-received by the Capello family. 

Capello's son, Pierfilippo, told SunSport: "We have just seen the news online and we are very happy.

"My personal view, as a lawyer, is that the final answer to this matter came from where it was always supposed to come."

Many observers continue to feel as if there was sufficient evidence present that indicated racist actions carried out by Terry against Ferdinand. Capello, for his part, was more concerned with the manner in which the matter was handled back in February. 

Capello famously said on Italian television in the aftermath of his resignation: "They gravely offended me and damaged my authority." 

The 66-year-old's decision to leave the post had left England without a coach and a captain mere months ahead of Euro 2012. Moreover, Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand's public backing of his younger brother's decision to take the matter to the court is said to have cost him a place in the final 23-man squad for the tournament. 

And the fall-out from the saga will likely continue in the coming months, most notably when Chelsea meet QPR in the Premier League on September 15. 

The FA have already announced that they will launch an independent inquiry into the incident in a bid to fight back against criticism that they have been hasty and unjust in their treatment of the England international. 

Meanwhile, the west London club released only a brief statement after the verdict announcing their position on the issue. 

"Chelsea Football Club notes and respects Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle's decision to clear John Terry of the charge against him," Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said on the club website.

"We are pleased that John can now focus on football and his pre-season preparations with the team."



comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update