Magpies needing patience with targets

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew may have to remain patient as he attempts to land his summer transfer targets.

Football News: Alan Pardew Newcastle United

The Magpies have made their interest in FC Twente pair Luuk de Jong and Douglas known and have tabled firm offers.

However, it is understood their current valuation of striker De Jong is way below that of Steve McClaren's club, while any move for the Brazilian-born defender could be complicated by his desire to qualify to represent Holland.

Pardew will have been encouraged to hear the 21-year-old frontman's agent, Louis Laros, confirm his client will leave Twente this summer, but with McClaren desperate to hang on to his leading scorer in the face of concerted interest from Newcastle and Borussia Monchengladbach among others, there is a distance still to be travelled.

Laros told Voetbal International: "Luuk, the decision is taken. He wants to further develop into a bigger league.

"The important thing for us is the sporting perspective of Luuk. Not the money, but the way of playing and the amount of playing time he will get will be decisive. "

The Magpies' interest in De Jong has been heightened by the fear the release-clause in Demba Ba's contract could be triggered this summer with a series of potential employers monitoring his situation.

However, with Denmark international Peter Lovenkrands having already been released, Pardew's pool of strikers looked set to be further reduced on Monday with Leon Best due to undergo a medical at relegated Blackburn.

The situation with 24-year-old Douglas appears to be less complicated between the two clubs, but it is not without its stumbling blocks.

He has already been granted Dutch citizenship, but FIFA rules mean he must be resident for five years before he is eligible for the national team, and that means any move could be delayed until the end of August.

As a result, if he was Tyneside-bound, he would miss the start of the new Barclays Premier League season, although Steven Taylor's impending return from long-term injury would lessen that particular blow.

However, the Mike Ashley regime has developed a reputation for dealing on its own terms and in both cases, and they will have no qualms about turning to alternative targets if they believe that is their best option in either case.

Meanwhile, Best's days at the club appeared to be drawing to an end as Blackburn closed in on their latest summer target.

The 25-year-old, who joined the club in a £1.2million switch from Coventry in February 2010, has found himself surplus to requirements since the arrivals of Ba and later, Papiss Cisse.

He was signed by then manager Chris Hughton to help bolster the squad for a promotion push as the Magpies sought, ultimately successfully, an immediate return to the top flight in the wake of relegation.

Injuries meant he had to wait almost a year to score his first goal for the club, although he opened his account in style with a hat-trick in a 5-0 thrashing of West Ham in January last year with Pardew having replaced the man who had signed him.

But the Republic of Ireland international has found his chances few and far between in more recent times and has been linked with a series of clubs since the turn of the year.

Pardew may also have to contend with losing Cisse for a large proportion of pre-season after it emerged that he is wanted by Senegal to play at the Olympic Games.

The manager confirmed that the club is in talks with the African country's football association over the 27-year-old, who is already scheduled to head off on African Nations Cup duty in January.

Pardew told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We have to give our permission and we are sort of discussing it.

"It's awkward because we want to prepare for a difficult season ahead of Europa League and Premier League games."

Pardew may also have to contend with losing Cisse for a large proportion of pre-season after it emerged that he is wanted by Senegal to play at the Olympic Games.

The manager confirmed that the club is in talks with the African country's football association over the 27-year-old, who is already scheduled to head off on African Nations Cup duty in January.

Pardew told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We have to give our permission and we are sort of discussing it.

"It's awkward because we want to prepare for a difficult season ahead of Europa League and Premier League games."



comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update