Like so many others, Mancini has been praying for Fabrice Muamba since the Bolton midfielder collapsed at White Hart Lane on Saturday after suffering a cardiac arrest.
However, Mancini's concern is equalled by his incredulity at the manner in which England's top clubs treat their players.
It is a matter he raised during his first pre-season with the Blues in 2010, when he discovered what medical examinations his players were undertaking.
And he does not believe it has got any better since.
"When I came here two years ago and saw what the players do in pre-season, I was really worried. I told the doctor it was not enough," said Mancini.
"He said that is how it is in England. He said it is good. In my opinion it isn't.
"In 2012, you can't have what happened on Sunday. This guy is 23. He has a family and son. I pray for him. I hope he does very well.
"But it is impossible that a young guy could die on the pitch because they didn't do a medical accurately."
After both Kanu and Khalilou Fadiga, who went on to join Bolton, experienced problems, the Italian system was completely overhauled a decade ago.
Now the Italian Olympic Committee oversees compulsory screening of all players every six months, which are regulated by law.
In the Premier League it seems more ad-hoc, with Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish revealing that Reds' players are only screened once every two years.
"I am not satisfied with the medicals," said Mancini. "In England it is really light medical.
"I hope that the club can speak with the FA because in Italy the medical is really strong, right at the start of pre-season, for every player and happens again after six months.
"The Premier League is the best championship in the world and everything is fantastic but we need to improve the medical.
"This is really important for the players because it is totally different today than it was 20 years ago.
"What happened to Muamba and other players in the past can't happen again."
Yet City's medical tests exceed UEFA guidelines and others are not as sure as Mancini that examinations are below the required standards, amongst them Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, who insists nothing more could have been done.
"No, I think the response was fantastic from the medical people," said Redknapp.
"He was lucky it happened there. If it had happened anywhere else he probably wouldn't be here.
"He obviously had a problem, it was going to happen."
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has vowed that lessons will be heeded if they are any to be learned, in much the same way as Jose Mourinho's fury of the treatment Petr Cech received when he fractured his skull at Reading five-and-a-half years ago triggered improvements that possibly saved Muamba's life.
"We will look at every aspect of what happened and if there are ways and means of improving - just like we did in 2006-07 following the Petr Cech incident - we will do everything we can to make sure we reduce to the point of elimination, if we possibly can, things like that."
Scudamore admitted the Cech incident had been "a wake-up call" for the Premier League.
He added of Muamba: "It's been a difficult three days for everybody involved in the game, particularly those closest to Fabrice.
"The whole of the last three days, we've played out lots of scenarios.
"Let's hope, God willing, that the progress he's making continues and he makes as decent a recovery as he can.
"In some ways, his life - and let's hope it has been saved - is as a result of the things a lot of us put in place after what happened with Petr Cech.
"If you saw what happened on Saturday, the immediate attention, everybody comes out of this with huge credit, the referee, the match officials, the way the medics were there.
"Jose Mourinho made some strident comments about the treatment that Petr Cech got.
"Everything that we've put in place since helped Fabrice at least have a chance."