The Chelsea defender is not himself expected to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court in central London.
Prosecutors ruled before Christmas that Terry should be charged with a racially-aggravated public order offence over video footage which appears to show him shout an offensive comment at QPR defender Ferdinand.
Terry, 31, who faces a maximum fine of £2,500 if convicted, has denied making the alleged slur during a Barclays Premier League match at Loftus Road on October 23 last year.
When the CPS announced the charges, the player said he was "disappointed" but would fight "tooth and nail" to prove his innocence.
The footballer will be represented by his solicitor in court for what is expected to be a short procedural hearing, a Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman said.