Hughton coy over Norwich transfer targets

Chris Hughton says Norwich are trying to bring in some more reinforcements over the closing days of the transfer window, but will not be drawn on any specific targets.

Chris Hughton

Norwich take on Hughton's former club Newcastle at Carrow Road on Tuesday night looking to put further distance between themselves and the Barclays Premier League's bottom three having moved up to 12th place with the 1-0 win over Hull last time out.

Hughton has recruited Jonas Gutierrez on loan from the Magpies, although the midfielder is ineligible to face his parent club, and reports suggested the Canaries were looking to add Blackburn centre-back Scott Dann as well as Newcastle's Steven Taylor and Lazio's Michael Ciani.

The Norwich manager, however, refused to fuel the speculation.

"We are at the stage now where I am sure you are going to tell me quite a few names," Hughton said at a press conference.

"What we have done is to try to make ourselves as active and busy as possible, and amongst that there will always be names which are bounded about.

"The large majority we always find have no substance and some will be because of agents asking questions or names that have been put to us.

"We can only do what is best to do, and that is to let you know when anything is fact.

"It (Steven Taylor) is another one, probably because of my association (with Newcastle), and that one (Ciani), no, again it would be the rumour mill going around.

"We do make phone calls and do make enquiries to see if players are going to be available or not and amongst that there is always going to be some speculation, but there are certainly no facts."

Hughton added: "We are looking for players who will improve the squad and we would definitely like to add to it.

"(If there is) any way we can improve what we have this week, then we are working very hard to be able to do that."

Republic of Ireland winger Pilkington had been linked with a £3million move to Swansea, which Hughton rebuffed, along with suggestions England Under-21 international Nathan Redmond was a target for the Wales club.

Robert Snodgrass was reported to be on Celtic's radar, while wantaway midfielder Wes Hoolahan had a transfer request turned down amid interest from Aston Villa and out-of-favour striker Luciano Becchio has been linked with a loan switch to Sheffield Wednesday.

Hughton said: "At this time, any potential rumours for our players is a testament to what we are trying to do here.

"It is not generally particularly welcome, of course, but if there are rumours, then we must be doing something right.

"However, there is no fact in any bid for Anthony from Swansea, while Nathan is very happy here.

"He is one who has had a lot of involvement here.

"Nathan is a very well-grounded young man who is improving his game week in, week out. He is a very mature young man and we are delighted to have him here and he wants to develop and improve here."

Hughton is determined Norwich can continue where they left off against Hull, but insists there will be no added incentive coming up against his former club, who dismissed him while they were in mid-table in the Premier League during December 2010.

"There is a good feel after the win over Hull," Hughton said.

"We are at home again and we will use our great support again to hopefully get a result."

The Norwich boss added: "Irrespective of who the opposition is tomorrow, it is an opportunity for us because we want to build on our last result."



comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update