The newly-promoted Eagles have recruited eight players since winning the Championship play-off final in May but look like missing out on the high-profile signing of Darren Bent from Aston Villa.
Holloway conceded he was under the impression Palace had done enough to sign the England striker, who now looks set to join Barclays Premier League rivals Fulham.
The former Blackpool boss claims he cannot wait until nearer the close of the transfer window to add to his squad, with their top-flight campaign getting under way at home to Tottenham at Sunday.
"We are the ones who can't afford to wait," Holloway said.
"We have been trying to force it. The chairman has been thinking and talking about doing a big one for someone who could score.
"We have done [Marouane] Chamakh and I believe doing another who I know can score and who hasn't been picked makes total sense."
Holloway revealed he was concerned other clubs would get wind of the potential deal for Bent and entice him into a move.
"I thought there was a deal to be done," he said.
"I was very worried about it all along because if anyone came in and matched what we were going to do, in my opinion he would probably choose them.
"These other clubs can wait, they [Fulham] have got [Dimitar] Berbatov for example.
"They can wait and we forced it, we need to get people in now because I haven't got anyone else, Fulham can just carry on.
"I have forced it so if it wasn't for us forcing it this wouldn't have happened today [Thursday].
"The chairman was very inventive and two other clubs got to hear about it and matched it and away he goes.
"Unfortunately for us at the minute if you have a choice of Newcastle, Fulham or Crystal Palace these players are going to choose any one of those two really. That is how the game goes.
"It is a good job we have got other targets because it makes it clearer and you move from one thing to the other."
Martin Jol was upset with Holloway's declaration at the Premier League launch this morning that Bent was due at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground for a medical at some point on Thursday.
"I'm not sure if other managers should say things like that," the Cottagers boss said.
"We are not 100 per cent sure about any player and I have a few players on my list. Maybe some geezer told him he was coming to us. Maybe he is right, maybe he is not. We'll see in the next day."
But Holloway did not feel he had overstepped the mark.
"I couldn't really care to be perfectly honest with you," he said when asked about Jol's opinion.
"I was told he was coming to my training ground and the next minute he is going there and I can't tell anyone? This is life."
Holloway's sense of frustration has been added to in the last week with Jerome Thomas and Yannick Bolasie both being ruled out of Sunday's clash with Spurs after picking up knocks.
Palace did manage to secure one transfer today after confirming the free signing of experienced goalkeeper Neil Alexander on a one-year deal.
The 35-year-old left Rangers after his contract expired at the end of last season and it is expected he will provide back-up to Julian Speroni.
Alexander, who has three Scotland caps and has also represented Cardiff and Ipswich during his career, stayed at Ibrox last summer despite Rangers' demotion to Division Three, but left the club at the start of the summer and is looking forward to getting to work at Selhurst Park.
"The club did fantastic last year, they've got a great set of players here," he told Palace's official website.
"And obviously being in the Premier League, one of the best leagues in the world was one of the main things for me. I'm really looking forward to the season ahead and I can't wait to get started.
"Julian's done fantastically well here. He had a great season last year, but it's important to have good back-up, experienced back-up and I think that's what I'll bring to the squad."
Alexander becomes Holloway's eighth summer signing and joins Thomas, Stephen Dobbie, Dwight Gayle, Jose Campana, Kevin Phillips, Elliot Grandin and Marouane Chamakh in penning deals with the club.