European Football Saturday Round-up

A review of all the results across Europe on a busy day of football.

Football News: Blackburn Rovers.

npower Championship

Blackburn moved to the top of the npower Championship as a brace from Jordan Rhodes helped them to a 5-3 victory over Bristol City in a thriller at Ashton Gate.

Rovers were behind inside the first minute thanks to Albert Adomah's goal, but frontman Rhodes - who became the visitors' record signing when he joined from Huddersfield for £8million last month - opened his account for his new club just before the half-hour mark to draw things level.

A goal 10 minutes after the break from his strike partner Nuno Gomes was cancelled out by Stephen Pearson's equaliser and after Ruben Rochina put Blackburn back in front, Sam Baldock made it 3-3 with seven minutes to go.

But Rovers defender Scott Dann and Rhodes both struck in stoppage time to secure three points for Steve Kean's side.

Blackburn now have 11 points, one more than second-placed Blackpool, who drew 1-1 at Barnsley.

Craig Davies put the Tykes ahead on 14 minutes before Tom Ince (30) equalised with his fifth goal of the season.

Level on points with the Seasiders are third-placed Brighton, 3-0 victors overSheffield Wednesday on Friday night, Hull in fourth and Cardiff in fifth.

Hull ran out comfortable 4-1 winners at home against Millwall, scoring all their goals in the first half through Robert Koren, Jay Simpson, Abdoulaye Faye and Sone Aluko before Darius Henderson's consolation for the visitors after the break.

Cardiff overcame Leeds 2-1 at home thanks to a Craig Bellamy free-kick and a Peter Whittingham penalty following Tom Lees' foul on Nicky Maynard, Rodolph Austin then pulling one back for the away side.

Sixth-placed Nottingham Forest extended their unbeaten start in the league to five games as a Pablo Ibanez own-goal salvaged them a 2-2 draw at home againstBirmingham.

Goals from Hayden Mullins and Marlon King had left Forest 2-0 down with less than 20 minutes to go before Simon Cox made it 2-1 and Ibanez netted an unwitting 86th-minute equaliser.

Middlesbrough are up to seventh following their 2-0 triumph over Ipswich at the Riverside Stadium courtesy of a first-half goal from Luke Williams and a late one from Mustapha Carayol.

Elsewhere, Huddersfield defeated Derby 1-0 at home, Bolton registered only their second win of the campaign by beating Watford 2-1 at the Reebok Stadium andPeterborough remain bottom and pointless after a 5-2 thrashing at Burnley.

Friday night's other game saw Crystal Palace win 1-0 at Charlton.

npower League One

Tranmere advanced to the npower League One summit after a 2-0 home victory over managerless Coventry.

Rovers secured all three points late in the day, strikes from Jake Cassidy in the 79th minute and Andy Robinson in the 83rd seeing off the struggling Sky Blues, who are now second-bottom of the table.

Tranmere moved into top spot at the expense of Notts County, who are a point worse off in second following their 2-2 draw at Oldham.

County - reduced to 10 men in the first half when Andre Boucaud was sent off - were 1-0 up shortly after the restart through Joss Labadie, but Latics debutant Matt Derbyshire swiftly equalised.

Robbie Simpson then missed the chance to put the home side in front by failing to convert a penalty and Jamal Campbell-Ryce restored the visitors' lead in the 82nd minute, only for another Oldham player making his bow, Jose Baxter, to draw things level again within three minutes.

Third-placed Stevenage also drew 2-2, coming from 2-0 down to take a point from their home match against Crewe.

Goals from Ajay Leitch-Smith in the sixth and eighth minute put the away side in a commanding position early on before Luke Freeman pulled one back just before the half-hour mark. Crewe then had Chuks Aneke dismissed in the second half before Robin Shroot's leveller nine minutes from time.

Crawley are level on points with Stevenage in fourth after their 2-1 win at Preston, Gary Alexander scoring both goals for the visitors and Paul Huntington replying late on.

Fifth-placed Walsall triumphed 2-1 at Portsmouth with James Baxendale and Florent Cuvelier making Izale McLeod's goal worthless, while Yeovil - the other side currently making up the top six - were beaten 1-0 at MK Dons by Charlie MacDonald's goal.

Sheffield United's 1-1 draw with Bury at Bramall Lane saw them slip out of the play-off berths, with Nick Blackman and Peter Sweeney trading early goals.

Elsewhere, Scunthorpe moved off the foot of the table with a 1-0 victory at Shrewsbury given to them by Leon Clarke, while Doncaster won 2-1 at Colchester, who are now rock-bottom.

David Cotterill opened things up for Doncaster but Magnus Okuonghae before Andy Bond put through his own goal.

Bournemouth and Hartlepool drew 1-1, with Matt Tubbs rescuing a last-minute point for the Cherries after Simon Walton's penalty, while Carlisle and Swindon played out a 2-2 draw.

The goals were all scored before the 32nd minute, with Jake Jervis twice putting Carlisle ahead, with the equalisers coming from Adam Rooney and Paul Benson.

Clydesdale Bank Premier League

A Michael Higdon double helped Motherwell come from behind to defeat Dundee 2-1 and remain at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Colin Nish had opened his Dundee account after 20 minutes, but Higdon equalised after 74 minutes before heading home the winner 10 minutes later.

Rowan Vine's first goal for St Johnstone gave the home side a shock 2-1 victory over Celtic.

Kris Commons drove the defending champions into the lead in the third minute but Saints striker Gregory Tade levelled in the 18th minute.

Vine then snatched the points 10 minutes from time to hand the Perth club their first win of the league campaign.

Leigh Griffiths was on target as Hibernian stretched their unbeaten league run to five matches with a 2-1 victory over Kilmarnock.

An inswinging Griffiths corner ricocheted in off Kilmarnock goalkeeper Kyle Letheren and defender Rory McKeown as Hibs took a 14th-minute lead before Danny Racchi tucked in an equaliser after 32 minutes.

However, Griffiths converted a 45th-minute penalty which proved decisive as Hibs claimed their second win at Easter Road this season.

St Mirren registered their first home victory of the season as they defeated Hearts 2-0.

Jim Goodwin fired in a superb 35-yard strike seven minutes before half-time to give the hosts the lead, and Lewis Guy doubled their advantage three minutes after the interval.

Aberdeen substitute Cammy Smith's late header denied Inverness their first win of the season in a match which saw both sides finish with 10 men.

The 17-year-old's goal with six minutes to go cancelled out Richie Foran's second-half penalty.

Inverness's Owain Tudur Jones and Aberdeen captain Russell Anderson were both dismissed for dangerous challenges.

Swedish Allsvenskan

Nikola Djurdjic scored a second-half hat-trick as Helsingborg thrashed GIF Sundsvall 4-0 in Allsvenskan.

David Accam fired the home side in front three minutes after the interval before Djurdjic came to the fore.

The Serbian striker netted his first after 59 minutes, adding another from the penalty spot four minutes later.

GIF saw Robbin Sellin sent off in the 69th minute and Djurdjic then wrapped up the scoring after 72 minutes to climb to fifth in the table.

Mjallby were also 4-0 winners over strugglers GAIS, with Par Eriksson scoring a first-half double for the hosts.

Victor Agardius and Moestafa El Kabir added further shine to the scoreline.

Russian Premier League

A single goal from Dmitri Tarasov saw Lokomotiv Moscow edge past 10-man Rubin Kazan on Saturday and climb up to third place in the Russian Premier League.

The dismissal of Cristian Ansaldi on the stroke of half-time proved Rubin's undoing, with Tarasov hitting the target seven minutes into the second half.

The win lifts Lokomotiv level on points with second-placed Zenit St Petersburg and three behind leaders Terek Grozny.

In Saturday's other match, Kuban Krasnodar twice came from behind to claim a 2-2 draw at home to Spartak Moscow.

The visitors took the lead first through Aiden McGeady (13) and then Emmanuel Emenike (53), but those goals were cancelled out by Artem Fidler (27) and Aras Ozbiliz (62).

Kuban Krasnodar lie sixth in the table, above their opponents on goal difference.

Greek Superleague

Panathinaikos suffered an early blow in their attempts to win a 21st Superleague title on Saturday night when they were beaten 1-0 at Panthrakikos.

Jesualdo Ferreira's men finished second to Olympiacos last season and their chances of toppling them this time will not be strong if they continue to produce results like this one.

Dimitrios Papadopoulos did the damage, scoring with a low shot from 12 yards with seven minutes left.

Olympiacos kept their side of the bargain too, winning 2-1 at Giannina to go top with nine points from nine.

All the goals came in an eight-minute second-half spell, with substitute Kostas Mitroglou and Rafik Djebbour scoring for the champions and Fotis Georgiou responding.

In the day's other game, Veria ended with eight men but still drew 0-0 at Levadiakos.

Miroslaw Sznaucner was the first to see red (46), with goalkeeper Jonathan Lopez (83) and Everton (90) also getting their marching orders.

Turkish Super Lig

Galatasaray thrashed 10-man Antalyaspor 4-0 to stay top of the Super Lig.

Johan Elmander got the opener after 10 minutes before Nordin Amrabat doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Things got worse for the hosts three minutes into the second half with the dismissal of Isaac Promise for a poor challenge on goalkeeper Fernando Muslera, which led to some testy exchanges between the players.

When it had all settled down, Galatasaray substitute Burak Yilmaz bagged a third, before Umut Bulut wrapped it up late on.

Kasimpasa continued their impressive start to sit one point behind the leaders with a 3-0 win over Gaziantepspor.

All the goals came in the second half and two in injury time, with Kalu Uche and Pablo Pintos Cabral scoring in time added on after Ozer Hurmaci broke the deadlock five minutes into the second half.

Bursaspor are third, four points from the summit, after coming from behind to beat Karabukspor 4-1.

Karabukspor stunned the hosts with Ihan Parlak's 11th-minute opener, but Sebastian Pinto and Pablo Bastalla teamed up to turn the game around.

Pinto levelled before the half-hour mark, and Bastalla gave them the lead just before the break.

Pinto's second came from the penalty spot with 20 minutes to go, and Bastalla capped it five minutes from time.

French Ligue 1

Sochaux picked up their first Ligue 1 victory of the season after beating St Etienne at the Stade Geoffrey-Guichard this evening.

Thierry Doubai's overhead kick after 75 minutes won the game for the visitors after the hosts had to play 80 minutes with 10 men due to Jonathan Brison being shown a straight red card.

Evian also picked up their first win of the campaign at the fifth time of asking tonight, as everything clicked in a 3-0 showing against Bastia.

Pascal Dupraz`s side put on a show at the Parc des Sports, opening the scoring through Cedric Barbosa, with the same player putting the cap on it with 13 minutes left after Yannick Sagbo had netted a second.

There was also a first success for Nice who got the better of Brest 4-2 after a dominant second-half display.

A lacklustre first half was soon forgotten once the second period began, with Camel Meriem, Nemanja Pejcinovic, Eric Bautheac and Valentin Eysseric all finding the target for the home side.

Jonathan Ayite and Paul Baysse replied for Brest but the damage had already been done by that stage.

But Troyes' search for a first win of the season will go on after they played out a 1-1 draw with Lille.

Things could have been worse for the hosts, who trailed for much of the match to Dimitri Payet's first-half strike.

However, substitute Sebastian Grax came to the rescue in the final few minutes to secure only the second point of the campaign for Troyes.

Elsewhere, Bordeaux boss Francis Gillot's call for his side to take more of their chances fell on deaf ears as they were held to a goalless draw at Valenciennes.

Dutch Eredivisie

FC Twente continued their stunning start to the Eredivisie season with a 6-2 thrashing of Willem II in Tilburg.

Robbert Schilder scored twice in the rout as Twente notched up their fifth successive win to move four points clear at the top of the standings.

Twente have yet to drop any points this campaign and have netted 15 times in five matches, conceding just four goals.

The scoring began after 39 minutes when Felipe Gutierrez made the most of a Roberto Rosales pass to tap home.

Another goal then followed two minutes later from Luc Castaignos, who pounced on a poor defensive pass to slip the ball beyond home goalkeeper David Meul.

Gutierrez then teed up Schilder for his first of the match - and Twente's third - after 53 minutes, before Marc Hocher's 71st-minute reply gave Willem II a brief glimmer of hope.

That was quickly extinguished, however, as Schilder and Willem Janssen scored two goals in as many minutes to effectively end the contest.

Jeroen Lumu's strike for the home side six minutes from time was little more than a consolation and their miserable evening was completed when Philipp Haastrup put through his own net in the dying minutes.

Ajax climbed up to second with a routine 2-0 victory over RKC Waalwijk.

The defending champions were some way off their best at the Amsterdam ArenA but still went ahead after 52 minutes when Lasse Schone benefited from a pass by Danish compatriot Christian Eriksen to sweep the ball home right footed.

Jody Lukoki then added a fortunate second after 68 minutes. The winger failed to get much power behind his shot but RKC goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet still let the effort roll between his legs and into the net.

Feyenoord were also 2-0 winners over Zwolle, a result which saw them move into the top four.

Graziano Pelle fired home the opening goal at the start of the second half with a strike which took a helpful deflection off Joost Broerse.

A Lex Immers penalty then wrapped up the points after 73 minutes, with the spot-kick awarded for Gerard Aafjes' push on Ruben Schaken.

Heerenveen's disappointing start to the campaign continued as they succumbed 3-1 at home to 10-man ADO Den Haag.

Marco van Basten's men came into the match without a win so far, and that run showed little sign of ending as ADO scored three times in eight first-half minutes.

Rydell Poepon fired home the opener from Tjaronn Chery's pass after 20 minutes and Jens Toornstra scored the second goal four minutes later, tapping home the rebound after Kevin Jansen's curling strike had come back off the post.

Chery added a third after 28 minutes, pinching the ball from Youssef El Akchaoui and sliding home a shot.

Things improved for Heerenveen in the second half and Jeffrey Gouweleeuw pulled a goal back in the 53rd minute after the visitors failed to clear a corner kick.

Aaron Meijers was also sent off for ADO after 70 minutes for a second yellow card, but Heerenveen were unable to conjure up a comeback, although Chery struck the woodwork late on.

Uche Nwofor scored a brace as VVV-Venlo came from two goals down to claim a 2-2 draw against NEC Nijmegen.

The hosts trailed after just two minutes when Michel Breuer headed home a free-kick from Ryan Koolwijk, and that deficit was doubled 10 minutes into the second half with another header, this time from Melvin Platje.

But Nwofor pulled a goal back from close range after 67 minutes and made sure the points were shared nine minutes later with a header of his own.

Belgian Jupiler League

Zulte-Waregem edged past Leuven 1-0 to move into second spot in the Jupiler League.

Substitute Jens Naessens scored the only goal six minutes from time as the visitors closed the gap on leaders Club Brugge to four points.

Anderlecht slipped down to third following a 1-1 draw at Lierse.

The visitors looked to be on course for their fourth win of the season when Kanu struck after 12 minutes, but Dolly Menga replied for Lierse three minutes from time.

Gent also lost ground on the leaders with a 2-0 defeat at home to Mechelen, who scored through David Destorme (45) and Alessandro Cordaro (89).

Cercle Brugge remain winless and stuck to the bottom of the table after Koen Persoons' 54th-minute strike condemned them to a 1-0 loss at home to Lokeren.

Charleroi held on for a 3-2 win at Mons in an incident-filled match.

Herve Kage's seventh-minute opener for Charleroi was cancelled out by Tom Van Imshoot a minute later, but the visitors' lead was restored by Harlem Gnohere after nine minutes.

Ziguy Badibanga then made it 3-1 after 18 minutes, before Mons threatened a comeback with Mustapha Jarju's 55th-minute effort.

However, the dismissal of Peter Franquart five minutes from time eventually gave Charleroi some breathing space.

Gal Shish earned Waasland-Beveren a 1-1 draw at Genk, who had taken the lead through Jelle Vossen.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update