European Football Wednesday Round-up

Super Lig leaders Galatasaray opened the door to Fenerbahce and Besiktas to close the gap when they were held 1-1 at home by Antalyaspor on Wednesday night.

BPL ball.

Turkish Super Lig

Emrah Bassan gave the visitors a shock lead in the 21st minute but Felipe Melo levelled from the penalty spot ten minutes before half-time.

The game finished 10-a-side, Gala's Milan Baros shown a straight red card in the 72nd minute before Antalyaspor's Ibrahim Dagasan followed in stoppage time for a second yellow card, but there were no further goals.

Gala's nearest challengers Fenerbahce travel to Samsunspor on Thursday while third-placed Besiktas host Mersin Idmanyurdu.

Trabzonspor, in fourth, enjoyed a 2-1 home win over Bursaspor thanks to a brace from Giray Kacar. Ozan Ipek cancelled out the defender's first but Kacar scored again in the 66th minute to win the game.

Substitute Oktay Delibalta's goal 10 minutes from time earned Genclerbirligi a 1-0 home win over Gaziantepspor while Orduspor beat basement club Ankaragucu 2-0 with first-half strikes from Bogdan Stancu and Hasan Kabze.

Istanbul Buyuksehir's clash with Karabukspor was postponed due to snow.

Dutch KNVB Beker

Maarten Martens scored twice as AZ Alkmaar came from behind to beat minnows GVVV Veenendaal 2-1 in their KNVB Beker quarter-final on Wednesday night.

Dennis van Meegdenburg opened the scoring in the 10th minute to give the third tier side hope of springing a major upset.

But Martens levelled nine minutes later and completed the comeback in the 66th minute.

In Wednesday's evening's other last-eight clash, Heracles Almelo swept aside 10-man RKC Waalwijk 3-0.

Samuel Armenteros opened the scoring in the 30th minute and they doubled their advantage through Kwame Quansah five minutes later.

Marko Vejinovic made it three in the 58th minute and the visitors' miserable night was complete when they had Evander Sno sent off 17 minutes from time.

French Coupe de la Ligue

Brandao fired Marseille into the Coupe de la Ligue final for the third season running as they beat Nice 2-1 on Tuesday night to set up a clash with Lyon.

The Brazilian struck in the second half after Anthony Mounier had cancelled out Loic Remy's opener.

Each team then had a man sent off, Marseille's Mathieu Valbuena controversially dismissed by referee Clement Turpin and Nice's Franck Dja Djedje also failing to see out the 90 minutes.

Remy opened the scoring in spectacular fashion against his former club when he controlled a long crossfield pass in the 16th minute and curled a wonderful shot back across goal and into the far corner.

Dja Djedje crossed for Mounier to slot in the equaliser in the 44th minute, but Brandao restored the lead when he beat Francois Clerc to Cesar Azpilicueta's cross and scored past keeper Raul Fernandez.

Valbuena, already booked for a foul on Kevin Gomis, was shown a desperately harsh second yellow card for taking a free-kick too quickly, to the astonishment of the Stade Velodrome faithful. The France international will miss Sunday's Ligue 1 clash with Lyon.

Dja Djedje was then shown a straight red card with seven minutes remaining, effectively ending Nice's hopes of a comeback.

OM will meet Lyon once more on April 14 at the Stade de France, after Remi Garde's side launched a stunning fightback to beat Lorient 4-2 after extra time on Tuesday night.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update