Ferdinand learned he was not going to be selected on Thursday morning after Hodgson made some rather loose comments to a fellow passenger on the Tube heading to Arsenal's Champions League encounter with Olympiacos at the Emirates Stadium on Wednesday night.
In addition to confirming the 33-year-old was not going to be selected for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland, Hodgson also indicated Ferdinand's international career was over despite John Terry's retirement from England duty.
The words underlined Hodgson's squad announcement this morning, in which there was no place for Ferdinand but a recall for Stoke's Ryan Shawcross, whose only previous call-up came under Fabio Capello in 2010.
Hodgson acknowledged he had made a mistake imparting such sensitive information to a random member of the public.
And whilst he was unable to make contact with Ferdinand when he called on Thursday morning, the England coach made it clear he was unhappy at his actions, even if the brutal reality is the defender's 81-cap England career is almost certainly over.
"I am disappointed that a stray conversation has been reported," he said.
"I didn't say Rio's career was over. I might have admitted, foolishly I guess, and I only have myself to blame, that I wasn't going to choose him in this squad.
"I am just disappointed this could be seen as a lack of respect to Rio which is something I would shy away from.
"I have the utmost respect for him, as a person and a player.
"It is not for me to call time on anyone's career. I would never dream of calling time on anyone's career.
"It is up to an individual player to decide if he doesn't want to play anymore and when I speak to Rio I will make that very clear to him."
It is understood the direct conversation between Hodgson and Ferdinand is still to take place.
However, the FA have been informed the 33-year-old accepts the apology and bears no personal grudge towards Hodgson.
There is a certain naivety about Hodgson that means it is certainly plausible that he could get into a public chat and give away such information.
But it is a lesson the 65-year-old will learn from very quickly.
"All I remember was that I was talking to quite a lot of people on the Tube and one guy said 'is Rio in the next squad?'," he said.
"I think I might have said 'I don't think so' and that is about as far as I went.
"But I shouldn't say that of course. It's a mistake and I need to apologise for it.
"This is one of the hazards I suppose of travelling on Tube trains when you go up to London and then speaking to people who ask me questions rather than sitting there tight-lipped refusing to ever open my mouth.
"I've paid for it and I will learn in future.
"Maybe this will be a lesson for all the people who see me on the Tube in future: please don't be too offended if I refuse to answer any questions you ask me.
"But the bottom line is I am sticking to my guns.
"I am staying with the players I selected for the Euros and I am looking to the future."
The question of Ferdinand's selection had been raised again due to Terry declaring his position within England ranks 'untenable' due to the FA pursuing him over the comments he made in an argument with the Manchester United man's brother Anton at Loftus Road in October last year.
Hodgson has been left mildly embarrassed by Terry's stance given he stood by the Chelsea captain and kept selecting him despite the negative headlines that continued to attach themselves to the 31-year-old.
The England boss had even gone so far as to say he would choose Terry even if the FA verdict went against him, as it subsequently did.
Now the matter has been taken out of his hands.
And it appears there will be no attempt at reconciliation.
"It's a hypothetical question," said Hodgson, when asked if he would consider Terry in the event he changed his mind.
"How can you pick someone in the squad if they have retired form international football? He has retired. Would I pick Bobby Charlton if he hadn't stopped playing for England?
"What I've said about John Terry, I stand by every word.
"I regret his decision but I respect it. I accept it and I move forward.
"I look at the other options available to me and keep my eyes firmly fixed on qualification for Brazil in two years' time."
Sir Alex Ferguson was unwilling to discuss the manner in which this was communicated by Hodgson - who told punters on a London Underground train before the official announcement - as he met media to preview United's game at Newcastle this weekend.
Ferguson said: "I am not going into that but I am happy anyway because I think at his age he should be protecting himself as best he can.
"Hopefully by doing that he will be far more important to me than England."