From virtually the moment Fabio Capello resigned on February 8, Harry Redknapp was the overwhelming favourite for the role.
That situation remained the same until Sunday evening, when the Football Association revealed they had been given permission by West Brom to speak with Hodgson.
And whilst FA chairman David Bernstein refused to discuss the reasons why Redknapp was ignored, Hodgson knows he cannot escape the comparisons, a situation that is uncomfortably similar to the one he encountered at Liverpool, where the spectre of Kenny Dalglish hung over him for his ill-fated six months in charge.
"I'd have to be on another planet not to be aware of the situation," he said.
"But there is one major difference between my time at Liverpool and being offered the job as England manager.
"The people who appointed me at Liverpool didn't have a chance to stay very long and others took over the club.
"The FA had a lot of time to decide which candidate they wanted to do the job, and I'm happy it was me."
It did seem two major factors counted in Hodgson's favour.
First, he is out of contract in the summer and free to leave, unlike Redknapp, whose services would have come with a hefty compensation fee for Tottenham.
Secondly, it was thought Hodgson would be well disposed to spending time at the FA's impressive new coaching hub at Burton, which is due to open in September.
The whole St George's Park concept has been linked with the England job and the need for some integration is obvious.
However, Hodgson's ties to the National Football Centre may be looser than many people imagined.
"My aim is to be based in London, where I have lived and have had an apartment for a good number of years," he said.
"I will be at St George's Park when there are events where I can be of use: younger teams, who I might do some coaching with.
"There will be an office available, but as far as I'm aware, the job is England manager. That means managing the England football team. Anything I can do at St George's Park will be a bonus."
So, with Bernstein refusing to elaborate on why Redknapp was ignored, the reasoning will remain a mystery.
Redknapp did leave a message of congratulations on Hodgson's phone though, which triggered a warm response from the 64-year-old.
"We have been friends for years," said Hodgson.
"He wouldn't welcome sympathy. I have empathy though. He sent me a nice voicemail and I'd like to think I would have done the same for him."
Hodgson admitted he wasn't expecting Sunday's call.
Neither did he think it was out of the question though given his impressive CV which, as Bernstein pointed out, includes spells on the international circuit with Switzerland, Finland and United Arab Emirates.
"I didn't think and I didn't expect," said Hodgson.
"But, given my CV, I had the right to hope and harbour a wish that the FA, after their process, would choose me.
"I wouldn't say I was particularly surprised when the call came.
"I was always hoping that the choice would be made and would work out in my favour."
Hodgson confirmed he intends to bring in at least one member of his own staff and that he will speak to Stuart Pearce before deciding whether the England Under-21 boss and manager of the Great Britain Olympic team should continue in his role as coach of the England senior squad as well.
And he insisted no-one tried to talk him out of a job many regard as impossible to succeed in.
"I realise what I'm going in to," he said.
"I'm not naive and have been in football a long while.
"We're dealing with enormous expectations."