Sheffield United march on in League One

A review of Saturday's action so far in npower League One.

Football News: Ched Evans

Sheffield United claimed their eighth consecutive victory in all competitions on Saturday with a dominant 3-1 win over Hartlepool in npower League One.

Ryan Flynn put the Blades in front with a 20-yard strike in the 12th minute before Chris Porter doubled the lead with a close-range header 10 minutes before the break.

Ched Evans then claimed a third three minutes before half-time with Peter Hartley's 90th-minute score scant consolation for the visitors.

Sheffield Wednesday kept up the pressure at the top of the table with a 2-0 win over Preston at Deepdale.

Danny Batth put Wednesday in front after just four minutes when Chris Lines crossed the ball into the box where the defender headed home from close range.

Ben Marshall doubled the lead three minutes before the break from 20 yards as it was all the visitors in the first half.

Brentford fought back from three goals down to salvage a last-gasp 3-3 draw against MK Dons at Griffin Park.

The Dons took a 3-0 lead at half-time thanks to goals by Darren Potter, Angelo Balanta and Charlie MacDonald.

However, Brentford hit back after the break with two goals from Gary Alexander, including one from the penalty spot, before Leon Legge headed the equaliser in the 90th minute.

Jimmy Ryan's last-minute goal earned a point for Scunthorpe as they drew 2-2 at home to Chesterfield.

Niall Canavan headed the Iron into the lead in the 24th minute when he found Michael O'Connor's inswinging cross at the far post to beat Spireites keeper Tommy Lee but Chesterfield hit back three minutes into the second half thanks to Scott Boden's 20-yard strike.

Craig Westcarr looked to have sealed the win for the visitors with a long-range effort before Ryan blasted home from 30 yards to claim a much-needed point for lowly Scunthorpe.

Elsewhere, Colchester beat 10-man Exeter 2-0 at the Community Stadium.

Anthony Wordsworth scored for the Us in the 16th minute with a 25-yard strike before Andy Bond added the second after the break.

Bond's strike came two minutes before Exeter defender Danny Coles was sent off in the 64th minute for a professional foul on Karl Duguid.

Oldham came from behind to beat Notts County 3-2 at Boundary Park.

Lee Hughes headed Notts County into an early lead from close range before Luca Scapuzzi equalised for the home side just before half an hour.

Neal Bishop handed County the lead six minutes before the break with a 20-yard blast but second-half strikes by Filipe Morais and Zander Diamond sealed a win for the Latics.

At Huish Park, Bournemouth overcame Yeovil 3-1 with a confident performance.

Steven Gregory put Bournemouth 1-0 up after six minutes with a 25-yard blast before Wes Fogen doubled the Cherries' lead in the 26th minute.

Paul Huntington pulled one back for Yeovil in the second half before Charlie Daniels sealed the win for the visitors with a strike from the edge of the box.

Elsewhere, Walsall drew 0-0 against Rochdale and Stevenage beat Wycombe thanks to Lawrie Wilson's 82nd minute close-range effort


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update