European Football Saturday Round-up

A round-up of results from leagues around Europe.

Dirk Kuyt of Fenerbahce celebrates

Turkish Super Lig

Dirk Kuyt scored the only goal as Fenerbahce reacted to their European misery by beating Eskisehirspor in the Super Lig on Saturday.

The former Liverpool forward scored in the 54th minute to earn the points.

Fenerbahce began their league campaign with a surprise loss to Konyaspor, but worse was to come on Wednesday when they crumbled to a 3-0 home defeat against Arsenal in the first leg of their Champions League play-off.

Barring a stunning recovery in London on Tuesday night, they will not reach the group stage this year.

Kuyt's fellow former Anfield man Ryan Babel was on target in Kasimpasa's 3-1 win against Kayserispor.

Andre Castro gave home side Kasimpasa a ninth-minute lead, a penalty from Ezequiel Scarione doubled it in the 24th minute, and Babel netted after 69 minutes, with a consolation arriving four minutes from the end when Jaja scored.

Gaziantepspor and Antalyaspor drew 0-0.

Swiss Super League

Lausanne Sport were the architects of their home defeat to Aarau as the Swiss Super League's bottom side gave away two own goals and had a man sent off.

They lost 2-1, with Jerome Sonnerat the first to score at the wrong end in the 14th minute, and team-mate Sebastien Meoli the next unlucky man after 57 minutes.

The situation worsened when Abdelouahed Chakhsi was sent off in the 86th minute, with a penalty deep into stoppage time from Yannis Tafer just a consolation.

Young Boys have a perfect record with five wins from five matches at the top of the standings, with Lucerne and Basle among those looking to close the gap.

Neither could make substantial inroads on Saturday as champions Basle were held 1-1 at Lucerne after conceding a last-minute equaliser.

The points looked destined for Basle after the visitors led from the 32nd minute thanks to Giovanni Sio's goal. They protected the lead right until the very late stages, when Dimitar Rangelov came up with an equaliser.

French Ligue 1

Marseille extended their winning start in the Ligue 1 season to three games on a night when Lyon saw their perfect record washed away.

Andre-Pierre Gignac scored for the third match in a row as Marseille claimed a 1-0 win at Valenciennes.

Gignac is pushing for a recall to the France squad, having not played an international match since 2010, after a fine start to the season which continued on Saturday.

The match looked to be petering out to a goalless draw before Gignac scored seven minutes from time at Stade du Hainaut.

Reims made a big splash at a waterlogged Gerland by stunning Lyon 1-0 in a match that was close to being abandoned at half-time.

Odair Fortes scored the only goal, in the 75th minute, four minutes after Lyon's Clement Grenier failed with a penalty kick.

Heavy rain had cast doubt on whether the match would be completed, with the second half having to be delayed due to the pitch becoming unplayable, the ball no longer bouncing and holding up on the pitch due to the surface water.

After the players spent 45 minutes in the dressing rooms, with groundstaff frantically doing their best to render the surface suitable for football, they were able to resume.

Fortes scored with the apparent aid of a deflection off Milan Bisevac to give Reims their second win in three outings, the same record as Lyon now own.

One goal was again all it took to decide the tussle between Bordeaux and Bastia at the Stade Chaban Delmas.

Henri Saivet's first-half effort gave Bordeaux their first win of the Ligue 1 season.

Saivet rifled into the top corner from a free-kick on the half-hour mark.

Evian slipped to the bottom of the table as two goals from Nelson Oliveira condemned them to a 2-1 loss against Rennes.

The Portuguese netted from the penalty spot after 11 minutes and doubled the visitors' lead in the 34th minute.

Kevin Berigaud got a goal back for Evian four minutes into the second half but they could not find the equaliser that would have kept them off the foot of the table.

Mustapha Yatabare scored twice as Guingamp beat Lorient 2-0, earning their first points following promotion.

Yatabare beat Lorient goalkeeper Baptiste Reynet in each half at the Stade Municipal De Roudourou as the visitors failed to build on their win over Nantes last week.

A goal four minutes into second-half injury time by Siaka Tiene secured a 2-1 victory for Montpellier against Sochaux.

Roy Contout had put Sochaux ahead shortly prior to half-time but Hilton responded immediately to ensure the teams went into the break on level terms.

Cedric Kante was sent off for the visitors with 17 minutes remaining, but it appeared Sochaux had done enough to earn a point before Tiene's late intervention.

Portuguese Primeira Liga

Sporting Lisbon continued their stunning start to the Primeira Liga season with a 4-0 win over Academia.

Sporting beat Arouca 5-1 in their league opener last week and and were equally ruthless in their first away game.

Andre Carrillo opened the scoring after 23 minutes and the lead was doubled by Marcos Rojo four minutes before the break.

Marcelo Goiano was then sent off for the home side before Sebastian Adrien Silva made it 3-0 from the penalty spot nine minutes into the second half and four minutes later Fredy Montero scored a spot kick of his own to complete the scoring.

In the day's other game, 10-man Olhanense held on to beat Pacos Ferreira 1-0.

Agon Mehmeti scored after 15 minutes and, although Judilson Pele was sent off just before half time, Olhanense managed to keep their visitors at bay.

Belgian Jupiler League

Lokeren's unbeaten start to the Jupiler Pro League came to an end on Saturday night following a surprise 2-1 defeat at previously winless OH Leuven.

The visitors looked to be heading for their fourth win in five matches when they took a 58th-minute lead through Hamdi Harbaoui.

But Evariste Ngolok levelled matters almost immediately afterwards before Bjorn Ruytinx added another for Leuven in the 71st minute - just three minutes after entering the fray.

KV Mechelen also claimed their first win of the league season after edging to a 2-1 win at 10-man KV Kortrijk.

Boubacar Dialiba opened the scoring in the 14th minute and Mats Rits doubled Mechelen's advantage just after half-time.

While Ivan Santini reduced the deficit in the final minute, it proved too little, too late for the hosts, who also had substitute Romain Reynaud sent off for good measure.

Elsewhere, Hernan Losada's 66th-minute penalty earned Lierse a 1-0 win over Waasland-Beveren, who remain without a win in five league matches this term.

Dutch Eredivisie

PEC Zwolle maintained their 100 per cent start to the Eredivisie season as they claimed a 2-0 win over Cambuur.

The newly-promoted outfit held their own for long periods against the league leaders but the quality eventually told as Guyon Fernandez opened the scoring in the 69th minute.

Rochdi Achenteh then netted with four minutes to go to make it four wins out of four for Ron Jans' men.

Park Ji-sung came off the bench to secure PSV Eindhoven a 1-1 draw at Heracles.

Lerin Duarte had put the home side after just six minutes and that looked like it might be enough until Park popped up with four minutes remaining to rescue a point for Philip Cocu's side.

NEC Nijmegen picked up their first point of the Eredivisie season in an eventful 2-2 draw with RKC Waalwijk.

The Nijmegen outfit had shipped five goals in each of their last two matches but looked well on their way to victory as Michael Higdon scored twice from the penalty spot to give them a 2-0 lead at the break.

But another spot kick from Sander Duits had RKC back in it and Aurelien Joachim grabbed the equaliser 20 minutes from time.

Roda JC claimed their second win of the season as they romped to a 4-0 win over ADO Den Haag.

Kees Luijckx opened the scoring after 25 minutes and Henk Dijkhuizen doubled the lead a minute before the break.

Mark-Jan Fledderus then made it 3-0 in the 53rd minute before Mitchell Donald completed the scoring 14 minutes from the end.

Russian Premier League

Anzhi Makhachkala were without Willian as their strife continued in the Russian Premier League with a 2-1 home defeat to Krasnodar on Saturday.

The Brazilian midfielder appears close to joining Chelsea as part of Anzhi's drive to sell off several expensive assets, in a drastic reining back of ambitious plans designed to bring success at home and in Europe.

They remain a star-studded team but the big names counted for little as they slumped to a loss that leaves them winless with just two points after six games of the domestic league season.

Anzhi went ahead through Odil Ahmedov in the 45th minute, but a 49th-minute equaliser from Mauricio Pereyra cancelled out the lead. Wanderson scored the 74th-minute winner.

CSKA Moscow lead the way, coming from a goal down to beat Tomsk, the only team worse off points-wise than Anzhi, by a 2-1 margin.

After losing their first five games in the league, Tomsk surprisingly took a 30th-minute lead when Igor Portnyagin netted.

But the home side lost their way after the interval, with Seydou Doumbia levelling in the 51st minute and Ahmed Musa grabbing the winner seven minutes later.

Dinamo Moscow and Zenit St Petersburg drew 1-1 in the capital, with Balazs Dzsudzsak's 64th-minute opener for the hosts countered by a 90th-minute Alexander Kerzhakov equaliser.

Terez Grozny are still seeking their first win after losing 1-0 to Volga Nizhny Novgorod, with Anton Putsila scoring after 75 minutes.

Scottish Premier League

Celtic fought back from two goals down to claim a point against Scottish Premiership leaders Inverness in an entertaining tussle at Parkhead.

The Highlanders raced into the lead thanks to goals from Aaron Doran and Richie Foran, before being pegged back by Charlie Mulgrew and Adam Matthews.

Inverness remain three points clear of the reigning champions in top spot following the 2-2 draw - having played a game more - with St Johnstone level on seven points with Celtic following their surprise 4-0 loss at Dundee United.

United had all but secured their first win of the season by half-time thanks to goals from Keith Watson, David Goodwillie and Gary Mackay-Steven, with Stuart Armstrong completing the rout with their fourth after 52 minutes.

Fourth-placed Aberdeen also suffered defeat as they went down 2-1 at administration-hit Hearts, who overcame the controversial sending-off of Kevin McHattie to claim a late winner.

Hearts were leading through Jamie Walker's 18th-minute strike before referee Alan Muir adjudged McHattie to have fouled Calvin Zola in the box midway through the second half and showed him a straight red card.

McHattie looked to have won the ball, although he had his hands on the Dons substitute, but the spot-kick was awarded and Niall McGinn converted to make it 1-1.

But Hearts rallied again and 17-year-old substitute Jordan McGhee headed home at the back post in the 88th minute to cut the Edinburgh club's initial 15-point penalty further down to leave them on minus eight.

It was also a good day for Hearts' local rivals as Liam Craig gave under-fire Hibernian boss Pat Fenlon a welcome gift as his double finally secured the Easter Road side their first win with a 2-1 triumph at Kilmarnock.

The hosts looked set to heap further pressure on the Fenlon after Barry Nicholson smashed home a spectacular opener after 22 minutes, but Craig ensured Hibs would secure their first win since beating Dundee 1-0 on May 18 with his second-half brace.

In Saturday's other games, Motherwell defeated unbeaten Partick Thistle 1-0 with an early goal from John Sutton while Ross County answered their critics with a dominant 3-0 win over St Mirren, Stuart Kettlewell (nine) and Richard Brittain (24 and 57) earning them the spoils.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update