Selangor finish second; FELDA relegated

Selangor booked their place in next season's AFC Cup after sealing a runners-up finish in the Malaysia Super League with a 1-1 draw against Darul Takzim.

Shukor gets the credit for the Tampines own-goal.

By FOX Sports staff

Heading into Saturday's season ender level on points with their opponents but ahead on goal difference, the Red Giants only needed to avoid defeat at the Larkin Stadium to seal continental football for the second consecutive season.

But it initiallly looked like they would miss out after Harimau Selatan took the lead in the 22nd minute thanks to a strike from Argentine striker Leonel Nunez.

However, six minutes after the break, Liberia international Francis Forkey Doe equalised for Selangor, which ultimately proved enough to help them seal second spot.

At the other end of the table, FELDA United were unable to avoid the drop despite a 2-1 win over already-relegated Negri Sembilan.

Rudie Ramli had given FELDA the lead after just 16 minutes, but they were pegged back in the 52nd minute when Eddy Helmi equalised for the visitors.

Still, Rudie struck again in the 90th minute to hand his side the win, although it proved to be not enough as they finished behind T-Team, who recorded a 2-2 draw against local rivals Terengganu, on goal difference.

Although the Titans opened the scoring at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium in the 13th minute through a Damir Ibric strike, they were on track for a costly defeat after Terengganu hit back through goals from Nasril Izzat Jalil and Fakhrurazi Musa on either side of the break.

But right on the hour mark, Syamim Yahaya struck for T-Team to make it 2-2, which was ultimately enough to guarantee their top-flight status for another year.

Kelantan gave their Malaysia Cup hopes a real boost by sealing a top-four finish after beating newly-crowned champions LIONSXII 2-0 at the Sultan Mohammad IV Stadium.

Red Warriors skipper Badhri Radzi broke the deadlock after just five minutes, before turning provider two minutes before the hour mark when his glorious pass picked out Dickson Nwakaeme, who lashed a first-time effort into the bottom corner to see off what was largely an under-strength LIONSXII side.

ATM's disappointing end to the campaign continued as they were handed a fourth defeat in five games after being beaten 1-0 by Perak, after Paulo Rangel fired home a penalty 11 minutes from time.

Finally, a real thriller was served up as Pahang held off a late fightback from PKNS FC to win 5-4 at the Shah Alam Stadium.

Goals from Amirulhadi Zainal and R. Gopinathan inside the opening 20 minutes had handed the visitors a comfortable lead early on, and although Patrick Ronaldinho Wleh pulled one back for PKNS in the 34th minute, Matias Conti struck to make it 3-1 just before the break.

Faizol Hussein added a fourth for Tok Gajah four minutes after the restart, and when they added in the 54th minute through an Alyy Imran own-goal, it appeared as though a real rout was on the cards.

But Wleh struck what appeared to be a consolation in the 70th minute, before completing his hat-trick seven minutes later to give his side hope of pulling off an unlucky comeback.

And in injury time, the 21-year-old Liberian netted an amazing fourth goal, although it proved to be too little too late for PKNS.

Saturday's Malaysia Super League Results

FELDA United 2-1 Negri Sembilan

T-Team 2-2 Terengganu

PKNS FC 4-5 Pahang

ATM 0-1 Perak

Kelantan 2-0 LIONSXII

Darul Takzim 1-1 Selangor

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update