Leaders ATM stunned; Pahang hold Kelantan

ATM failed to extend their lead at the top of the Malaysia Super League on Saturday after falling to a shock 3-2 loss at Terengganu.

Hairuddin Omar, Marlon Alex James, ATM
Gabriel Tan

By Gabriel Tan

By FOX Sports staff

Heading into the game at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium off the back of an impressive 2-0 win over Selangor on Tuesday, the Armed Forces were expected to comfortably see off their opponents, who had picked up just five points from their opening seven games prior to Saturday's clash.

However, it was Turtles who took the lead a minute before the half-hour mark when Khairol Ramadan opened the scoring, but ATM pulled level in the 75th minute through Marlon Alex James.

Ashaari Shamsuddin then restored Terengganu's lead six minutes later but the visitors looked to salvaged a share of the spoils when D. Christie Jayaseelan equalised a minute from time.

Nonetheless, Ashaari popped up deep into injury-time to strike the winner and hand his side a much-needed three points.

Defending champions Kelantan failed to build on Tuesday's 2-0 win over Terengganu as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Pahang at the Darulmakmur Stadium, despite holding the lead twice.

Norfarhan Muhammad fired the Red Warriors ahead after ten minutes, only for Hafiz Kamal to pull the hosts level right on the stroke of halftime.

Hafiz then turned from hero to villain a minute after the hour mark when he was sent off for stamping on an opponent and Kelantan looked to have made the most of their numerical advantage in the 84th minute when Keita Mandjou made it 2-1.

But Pahang were not to be denied and forced the draw three minutes later when they were awarded a penalty, paving the way for star striker Fauzi Roslan to emphatically fire into the top corner past Khairul Fahmi's despairing dive.

Saturday's Malaysia Super League Results

Terengganu 3-2 ATM

Pahang 2-2 Kelantan

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update