Buriram title hopes ended after meltdown

Buriram United's hopes of retaining the Thai Premier League were ended on Sunday after they threw away a three-goal lead to draw 3-3 at Army United.

The Buriram captain brings the ball forward.

By ESPNSTAR.com staff

The Thunder Castle, who are now 13 points behind leaders Muangthong United with only four games left, opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when Adisak Kraison swept home a left-wing cross from Frank Acheampong, before Teerathon Bunmathan doubled their lead two minutes before the break when he burst forward and latched onto a neat ball by Jakkraphan Kaewprom, before rifling a shot into the back of the net.

Six minutes into the second half, Buriram added a third when Anthony Ampaipitakwong netted with a half-volley from just inside the area, and looked set for a routine win which would have been enough to keep alive their ailing title hopes.

However, Army pulled one back in the 53rd minute through captain Tatree Sing-Ha, who made his way in behind the visitors' backline before firing past Sivaruck Tedsungnoen, and two minutes later, Bjorn Lindemann made it 3-2 when he received a throw-in from Narong Jansawek and sent a spectacular first-time effort arrowing into the far corner.

A minute after the hour mark, the hosts completed an unlikely comeback when Alessandro Alves met a corner from Narong with a glancing header that nicked off Apichet Puttan and into the back of the net.

Buriram remain three points clear of fouth-placed BEC Tero Sasana, who were held to a 1-1 draw at Samut Songkhram.

Cleiton Silva fired BEC Tero ahead in the 25th minute, but Bireme Diouf equalised in first-half injury-time to steal a share of the spoils for his side.

Wuachon United moved up to eighth after a comprehensive 3-0 win over Osotspa Saraburi, which was initiated by Suphasek Kaikaew's 17th-minute opener.

Five minutes after the break, midfielder Manop Sornkaew added a second before anchorman Kriangkhai Pimrat weighed in with a rare strike at the death.

Police United continued their good recent form with a 4-2 victory over Chainat, who remain in the third and final relegation spot.

Police, who looked set for the drop early on in the season, raced to a three-goal lead inside the opening half-hour thanks to goals from Leandro dos Santos, Tana Chanabut and Paitoon Nontadee.

Chainat pulled one back in the 47th minute when Silver Shields captain Surachart Sareepim netted an own-goal, but he made amends nine minutes later by netting at the right end to make it 4-1.

The visitors were then reduced to ten men in the 58th minute when Kraikiat Beadtaku was sent off, and although Kendall Jagdeosingh pulled another one back on the hour mark, Police ultimately held on for a valuable three points.

Finally, Bangkok Glass' inconsistent ways reared its ugly head again as they fell to a 1-0 loss at the hands of Chiangrai United, courtesy of Nantawat Tansopa's 89th-minute winner.

Sunday's Thai Premier League Results

Army United 3-3 Buriram United

Samut Songkhram 1-1 BEC Tero Sasana

Wuachon United 3-0 Osotspa Saraburi

Chiangrai United 1-0 Bangkok Glass

Police United 4-2 Chainat

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update