Muangthong get title bid back on track

Muangthong United resumed their charge towards the Thai Premier League title on Sunday with a 2-1 win over Bangkok Glass after draws in the past two weeks.

Football News: Mario Djurovski, Muangthong United

By staff

Thai international Teerasil Dangda opened the scoring for the Twin Qilins at the Leo Stadium in the 26th minute when he fired home his 17th goal of the season, before Piyaphon Bantao made it 2-0 nine minutes after the break.

Hironori Saruta pulled one back for Glass 15 minutes later but the visitors ultimately held on for the maximum points.

Despite still holding a healthy lead at the top of the table, back-to-back stalemates against Buriram United and Chonburi left some questioning whether or not Muangthong's title bid was beginning to falter.

However, they responded in the best way possible with an impressive display against the Glass Rabbits, taking the lead four minutes before the half-hour mark when Mario Gjurovski threaded a neat pass through for Teerasil to fire past Krisakorn Kerdpol.

The hosts were unlucky not to equalise in the 49th minute when Amnaj Kaewkew met an Anawin Jujeen freekick with a header that came back off the bar and just four minutes later, Muangthong doubled their lead when Glass defender Ri Kwang-chon deflected a Piyaphon Bantao effort into the back of his own net.

Nine minutes after the hour mark, the Glass Rabbits hit back when Saruta tapped home from close range after Kawin Thammasatchanan failed to hold on to a shot from Samuel Ajayi, but they were unable to find the all-important equaliser as the visitors held on for all three points.

Over at the Khao Plong Stadium, second-placed Chonburi kept up their chase of Muangthong with a comprehensive 3-0 win over Chainat.

The Sharks took the lead in the 39th minute courtesy of a Suttinan Phuk-hom strike and six minutes into the second half, the hosts' prospects took a real blow when they were reduced to ten men.

Sukree Etae then doubled his side's advantage when he netted in the 70th minute, before capping off a good night at the office for Withaya Laohakul's men by grabbing a second seven minutes later.

Army United failed to fully capitalise on Glass' defeat to Bangkok and move into the top five as they remain a point behind following a 1-1 draw with Esan United.

Kim Tae-young fired Esan ahead three minutes before halftime and Army needed a 68th-minute equaliser from Diego Gaston Herrera to ensure their seventh-placed opponents did not overtake them.

Finally, relegation-threatened BBCU were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Osotspa Saraburi, while Wuachon United and TOT also played out a goalless stalemate.

Sunday's Thai Premier League Results

Bangkok Glass 1-2 Muangthong United

BBCU 0-0 Osotspa Saraburi

Chainat 0-3 Chonburi

Esan United 2-1 Army United

Wuachon United 0-0 TOT

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular News

News & Update