By ESPNSTAR.com staff
Riquelme announced on July 4 - after Boca Juniors lost the Copa Libertadores final 3-1 to Corinthians - that he was seeking to leave the club, saying that he did not have what it takes to bring more to his boyhood side.
The news came as a surprise as Riquelme is often seen as an embodiment of Boca Juniors, having spent most of his career there as their star playmaker and the fans have been desperate for the 34-year-old to stay, even staging a massive flag protest last week.
The former Argentina has not decided on his future yet despite interests from Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua and a 'mystery, cash-rich' Saudi Arabian side.
In the latest development, Tunku Ismail revealed that Johor FA are interested in bringing Riqulme to the club.
"Our agent has been told to approach Riquelme and negotiate a deal for next season. For now nothing is confirmed yet. We are still trying to get him. We'll see," Tunku Ismail tweeted.
Johor FA have appointed former Argentina striker Gabriel Batistuta in an advisorial role to bring in more South American talents previously and he is expected to play a key role in bringing Riquleme over.
The Star quoted an unnamed source, who said: “Riquelme is one of the players Tunku Ismail has identified as able to have a positive impact on the team as well as to bring fans back to the stadium.”
Riquelme started his career with Boca Juniors before a stint in Spain with Barcelona and Villarreal. He then returned to Boca Juniors in 2008 before announcing his decision to quit his boyhood club.