Bisping would love rematch with Henderson

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has admitted that facing Dan Henderson in a rematch would be a “fight that I would love”.

Bisping was crowned middleweight champion after he knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round of their main event bout at UFC 199 on June 4.

Since then, Bisping has made it clear that his first title defence won’t be a rematch against Rockhold, but the 37-year-old was intrigued when Henderson challenged him to another fight.

Henderson, who knocked out Hector Lombard in the second round at UFC 199, got the better of Bisping when they last met at UFC 100 in July 2009, knocking out the Brit in the second round.

With the opponent for Bisping’s first title defence yet to be decided, the champion is hoping that he can avenge his loss to Henderson six years ago.

“Of course, there’s been talk about Dan Henderson, which kind of came out of the blue,” Bisping said on The MMA Hour. “Dan Henderson kind of tweeted it out, and Joe Rogan put a picture on Instagram, and that seems to be getting a lot of traction. Of course, that is a fight that I would love.

“There hasn’t been any kind of offer or anything like that, but that’s a fight that I would take because everybody knows about UFC 100, and Dan Henderson still has an image of him floating above my head while I’m knocked out as his logo. So, I would like to put him in his place.”

Bisping was also open to the idea of facing Georges St-Pierre as the two fighters have never crossed paths in the Octagon before.

“It kind of has now that you mentioned it,” he said. “As you said, fighting Georges St-Pierre [would be] great, and of course for the title for who has the most wins in UFC history…I mean, that alone is a fantastic tagline and great promotion. And of course, the numbers would be fantastic with Georges St-Pierre, he’s a massive, proven draw, and at the end of the day, we’ll try to generate as much money as possible.

“I do want to defend the belt, and I want to make as much money as I can in the process. So, I would certainly be open to sending Georges St-Pierre back to a movie set because that would be a fight I would definitely win and if Georges St-Pierre is listening, anytime you fancy it, just be a man and sign on the dotted line and your return will be short-lived.”

When asked about whether he would consider going up against Chris Weidman, who is currently recovering from neck surgery, Bisping made it clear that the former middleweight champion has to prove his worth.

“Now I know Chris Weidman is bitching and getting on like a 12-year-old on Instagram and stuff, talking about me and directing insults at me and this and that,” he said. “The fact of the matter is that Chris just lost to the guy that I just knocked out. He wasn’t scheduled to fight me, he was scheduled for a rematch with Luke Rockhold.

“So as far as I’m concerned, Chris Weidman needs to win a fight. Chris Weidman is out of the equation. Chris Weidman is coming off a loss, and unless you’re called Chael Sonnen you don’t get title shots coming off a loss.”

No matter who he faces in his first title defence, which he wants to take place in Manchester, Bisping has insisted that he will emerge victorious and keep hold of his middleweight title.

“One thing I would like to do is defend the belt in the U.K.,” he said. “I would love to defend the belt in Manchester later in the year.

“Whether it’s Georges St-Pierre, Dan Henderson, Jacare Souza — whoever it is, line them up and I’ll knock them down.”

Comments